FA Trophy: Widnes F.C. 3 - 4 Colne F.C.

Colne set out on the FA Trophy trail with a seven goal thriller at Widnes on Saturday. The Reds came from behind to snatch victory in an end-to-end battle, thanks to a stunning hat trick by Jamie Cooke.

In the opening stages it was Widnes who looked the more dangerous and Colne keeper Hakan Burton was soon in action as he pushed away a shot by James Steele from the bottom corner of his goal. As Colne fought to get a foothold in the game, they were rocked by a controversial goal after 24 minutes, when play was allowed to continue despite a head injury to Billy Hasler-Cregg. Kyle Sambor knocked home a long diagonal cross at the far post which looked to be going out of play.

Three minutes later, the Reds conceded again when Jordan Southworth’s run into the penalty area opened up the Colne defence and his low cross was fired home by Ryan Jennings from ten yards out to double Widnes’ lead at 2-0. On the half hour, another cross by Southworth found Steele at the far post but he blasted his shot over the Colne crossbar.

As the Reds pushed forward looking for a reply, they forced a series of corners and Tom Dean came close with headers that flew just wide of the target. With half time approaching, Reece Webb-Foster saw his well struck free kick curl just past the far post, as Colne built more promising attacks.

Colne began the second half in a positive mood and pulled a goal back after 55 minutes and Webb-Foster held off defenders in the Widnes area before laying the ball back for Cooke who fired home a low shot from close range to reduce the arrears to 2-1. Two minutes later, Webb-Foster again provided the chip forward for Anthony Williams to take the ball on past the keeper and level the scores at 2-2 with a low shot from a narrow angle.

Widnes pushed forward again with some dangerous attacks to test the Reds defence, but looked vulnerable to counterattacks. On the hour, Cooke was brought down by Widnes keeper Cameron Terry outside his area, but surprisingly the free kick was given Widnes’ way in another controversial incident. Two minutes later, Widnes went ahead when Sambor’s speed took him through the Colne defence to slot home his side’s third goal.

Once again Colne fought back strongly with some good attacks and Webb-Foster saw his shot saved by the keeper’s feet in the home goalmouth. After 71 minutes, Webb-Foster’s chip sent Cooke into the penalty area and he beat Terry with a well placed shot to level the scores at 3-3.

Both sides went for a winner and the Colne defence held firm with some good clearances. With five minutes left Webb-Foster sent Cooke clear on the right wing and he cut inside before chipping the ball over Terry into the Widnes net for the winning goal for the Reds.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Unsworth / Coleman (C) / Dean / Winstanley** / Russell / Williams / Tetteh* / Hasler Cregg / Cooke / Webb-Foster


Landau** / Djabi / Dodd*

Recent Posts