Colne F.C. 3 - 2 Kendall Town F.C.

Colne went three points clear at the top of the league thanks to a dramatic late winning goal at Holt House on Boxing Day. The Reds had to come from behind on a heavy wet pitch to see off a Kendal side that fought all the way.

Colne got off to a flying start and took the lead after only four minutes, when Reece Webb-Foster cut in from the left wing and found the net with an angled shot into the far corner.

The Reds looked to be in the driving seat and pressed forward with further attacks looking for a second goal. But after 16 minutes, a free kick played low into the home penalty area found Dan Keenan in space at the near post and he found the net with a shot on the turn, past Hakan Burton to level the scores at 1-1.

Colne looked to regain the lead with Charlie Russell prompting some good moves through midfield, but Jamie Cooke blasted a shot high over the top with a sight of goal and Webb-Foster’s looping header went begging across the face of goal. While at the other end, Kendal were restricted to long range efforts with Greg McCarragher lifting his shot over the bar after 35 minutes.

But as the second half began, a similar long range effort paid off when Chris Humphrey blasted a 25 yard shot into the Colne net to give Kendal the lead at 2-1.

Colne were stung into action as they faced an uphill battle in the worsening conditions. But, after 55 minutes, the Reds forced an equaliser following a free kick into the Kendal penalty area. When Alex Dodd’s penetrating run into the area brought a half clearance, the ball was returned into the goalmouth where it fell to Tom Dean and although his effort was blocked, Webb-Foster fired home the loose ball from close range to level the scores at 2-2.

Colne came close again on the hour when Webb-Foster’s header came back off the crossbar and in Colne’s next attack Lee Pugh sent Cooke racing clear on a through ball, but he shot narrowly wide with just the keeper to beat. Spencer Jordan provided more opportunities for the Colne strikers and Webb-Foster’s angled shot flew just past the far post from a good opening.

With ten minutes left, Cooke’s through ball released Webb-Foster for a run on goal, but keeper Morgan Bacon got down well to block his shot in a one-on-one. With time running out, Colne won a free kick on the right touchline and the high ball to the far post found the head of Dean to nod in the winning goal in dramatic fashion.

A never-say-die, all round team performance by the Reds, that sent their supporters home happy to enjoy the remainder of the Christmas celebrations.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Azam / Pugh / Winstanley / Taylor / Brown* / Russell** / Williams / Cooke / Webb-Foster


Jordan* / Dodd** / Unsworth / Canon-Noren / Goodwin

Recent Posts