Colne F.C. 2 - 0 Prescot Cables - 19.12.20

Colne went joint top of the league with a convincing display against Prescot Cables at Holt House on Saturday. The Reds were well deserving of the 2-0 win on a heavy, wet pitch and took revenge on the visitors for the FA Cup defeat they suffered back in September. Colne welcomed back spectators, although the crowd was limited to 200, who gave rousing support throughout the game in a pre-Christmas cracker.

The Reds made a good start building a series of attacks mainly up the right wing where Waqas Azam repeatedly opened up the visitors defence to supply crosses into the danger area and Anthony Williams had a goal-bound shot blocked in the opening minutes. Lee Pugh’s long throw was punched clear by Prescot keeper Mitchell Allen at his near post and the resulting corner was headed away by James Cooper as Colne applied the pressure.

But a quick break to the other end by Lloyd Dean needed a good clearance by Ryan Taylor from his own penalty area to deny Prescot a chance.

Reece Webb-Foster came close for Colne after 15 minutes when he drove an angled shot just over the bar, but had better luck eight minutes later from a similar shooting position. A long clearance by Red's stand-in keeper Danny Thorpe reached Webb-Foster on the right wing and his piledriver of a shot was blocked by a fine save at the near post by Allen, but the ball spun off him and finished in the far corner of goal to give Colne the lead.

The Reds might have doubled their lead just three minutes later when Harry Winstanley and Williams combined up the left wing to provide a hard low cross, which just eluded Webb-Foster in front of the Prescot goal.

As Prescot looked for a quick reply, Colne keeper Thorpe dealt comfortably with a high ball under pressure in his goalmouth and Winstanley cut out a dangerous run by Louis Sharp in an end-to-end break with half time approaching.

Early in the second half Prescot pushed forward and a well constructed move gave Jamie Rainford a half chance, but his carefully placed shot through a crowded area only found the safe hands of Thorpe on his goal-line.

Colne looked for a second goal and a quick break by Azam gave Williams a sight of goal, but his shot was deflected wide for a corner. Another move involving Azam found Charlie Russell in the Prescot area, but his angled shot flew wide of the far post. As the pressure built, Williams saw his chip pushed over the bar by Prescot keeper Allen.

But Colne were still vulnerable with their slender lead and Matty Hamilton made dangerous runs up the left flank, but the Reds defence held firm with Tom Dean heading away an inviting cross from the Reds goalmouth after 70 minutes.

As play swung from end to end, a Colne free kick on the right was played into the visitors’ area and the referee spotted a hand ball and pointed to the spot. Webb-Foster fired home the resulting penalty to make the game safe and clinch the points for Colne after 77 minutes.

A welcome return to action for the Reds and a satisfying and exciting performance for all concerned.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Thorpe / Azam / Pugh / Winstanley / Taylor / Dean / Brown / Russell / Williams* / Cooke / Webb-Foster


Canon-Noren / Jordan* / Unsworth / Dodd / Tetteh

Recent Posts