Widnes F.C. 1 - 1 Colne F.C.

Colne had to settle for a draw against Widnes on Saturday, despite taking an early lead. The Reds never hit their top form on the artificial surface of the Widnes Vikings stadium and were unable to dominate the game against a lively home side.

Colne took the lead after only ten minutes, when Waqas Azam’s diagonal free kick was headed down in the area by Tom Dean and, as Reece Webb-Foster tried to work a shooting angle, Dean stepped in to blast the ball into the back of the Widnes net.

Five minutes later, Webb-Foster almost benefited from a loose back pass by the home side, but Widnes keeper Cameron Terry raced from his area to hack the ball clear. As play switched to the other end, Widnes had loud claims for a penalty waved aside when Michael Conlon went down in the Colne area after a dangerous run. After 23 minutes, ex-Red, Kyle Sambor, made a good run into the Colne area and forced a good save by Hakan Burton to push his shot round the near post.

Colne settled in midfield and began to build some good attacks to put pressure on the Widnes goal. But after 38 minutes when a Colne free kick was cleared from the home penalty area, a quick break to the other end saw James Steele go clear and slot the ball past the advancing Burton to level the scores at 1-1.

A minute later, as Colne looked to restore their lead, a dipping shot by Jamie Cooke was held under the bar at full stretch by keeper Terry. But in another quick break, Steele again broke at the other end and saw his angled shot fly inches wide of the far post of the Colne goal.

As the second half began, Sambor came close for Widnes when he shot wide of the near post following Alex McQuade’s cross from the bye line. But Colne began to gain the upper hand and Webb-Foster’s header flew just over the bar following Billy Hasler-Cregg’s run and cross after 57 minutes.

In a series of promising attacks, the Reds created half chances and Charlie Russell saw his shot blocked by defenders in the home area before Mamadou Djabi was denied by the keeper in a close encounter after 68 minutes.

Colne pushed forward and Cooke’s shot was blocked at the expense of a corner after 82 minutes.

But at the other end Sambor forced a good save by Burton with a well struck shot as both sides looked for a winner in the closing stages.

Recent Posts