Ossett United 0 - Colne F.C. 1

Colne maintained their hundred per cent record with a narrow win in a hard fought game at Ossett United on Saturday. The game was never a classic as both sides battled the heavy weather conditions, but the Reds stuck to their task and were rewarded by a Jamie Cooke goal midway through the second half to clinch the points.

In the early stages, it was Ossett who came closest after only seven minutes when Aaron Haswell picked up a loose pass in midfield and broke away on the left wing, before seeing his low shot deflected wide of the far post in the Colne goalmouth.

Five minutes later, Colne fashioned their first real attempt at goal when Mamadou Djabi won the ball in midfield and released Spencer Jordan into the home penalty area, but his shot was well saved by Ossett keeper Max Dearnley.

As play swung back to the other end, Alex Coleman and Tom Dean made vital clearances from the Reds' area, as Nash Connolly created danger with his runs on the right wing. And on the half hour Colne had a let-off as a dangerous cross flew across the face of goal, only needing a touch at the far post.

The Reds continued to work hard and created some half chances just before the interval, but Billy Hasler-Cregg blasted the ball high over the bar with a sight of goal.

As the second half began, Colne pushed forward and Jordan’s cross from the right wing just eluded Djabi in the six yard box at the near post of the home goal after 51 minutes. Waqas Azam prompted more attacks up the right wing and Reece Webb-Foster began to find space for some speculative shots on goal, having joined the game from the subs bench.

After 70 minutes Colne made the breakthrough when Alex Dodd’s cross from the left wing found Webb-Foster in the home area and he laid the ball back for Cooke to blast a low 20 yard shot into the bottom corner of the net to give the Reds the lead.

As Colne looked to add to their lead, a well struck shot by Cooke from 25 yards was blocked by a defender. As the game reached the final stages, Ossett pushed forward looking for an equaliser and crosses to the far post provided chances for their forwards with the lively Marcel Chipamaunga almost cashing in on several occasions and Harry Gagen seeing his shot saved by Hakan Burton with a vital save at the foot of the post with the final whistle imminent.

Once again the Reds held on strongly for the win to complement their earlier creative play and were rewarded with another favourable result.

Colne F.C. Line Up

Burton / Azam / Winstanley / Coleman / Dean / Brown / Russell** / Cooke / Djabi* / Jordan / Hasler-Cregg


Webb-Foster* / Dodd** / Samizadeh / Unsworth / Tetteh

Recent Posts