Colne F.C. 0 - 2 Prescot Cables F.C.

Colne made an early exit from the Emirates FA Cup in the Preliminary Round against Prescot Cables on Saturday. The Reds, already depleted by injuries, lost defender Harry Cannon-Noren midway through the first half and were unable to produce their top form against a strong team from Merseyside.

Colne started brightly and looked for an early opening goal. Reece Webb-Foster forced a good save from Cables keeper Mitchell Allen to turn his shot over the bar after two minutes. Webb-Foster was again denied three minutes later, when Allen got down at his feet to block another scoring chance.

Cables looked dangerous as they attacked up the left wing, but Cannon-Noren made good tackles to stop the runs of Matty Hamilton, and James Edgar’s 25 yard shot flew over the Colne bar. After 17 minutes, Cables Michael Monaghan made a good run into the Colne area and Harry Winstanley’s tackle won the ball cleanly, despite Prescot’s claims for a penalty. However, the resulting corner led to the opening goal as James McCulloch headed the high cross and the ball was deflected into the net by Reds defender Ben Unsworth to give Prescot the lead.

Colne looked for a quick reply and Jamie Cooke’s 25 yard shot was pushed over the bar, with a good save by Allen at the other end. After 22 minutes, a series of hard tackles in the Colne penalty area resulted in an injury to Cannon-Noren, which produced a reshuffle of the Reds team and unsettled their defence.

Prescot looked to exploit the weakness and after 35 minutes had loud claims for a penalty when Hamilton was brought down in the area by Alex Samizadeh’s tackle, but the referee waved them aside. High crosses into the Colne goalmouth produced some good headed clearances by young defender Winstanley, making his debut for the club alongside captain Alex Coleman.

After 42 minutes, Hamilton cut in from the left wing and saw his 20 yard low shot come back off the post as he found a clear sight of goal. As play switched to the other end, Charlie Russell fired inches over the Prescot bar after a good run and Webb-Foster had a shot blocked in the Cables penalty area after the keeper only half cleared a high cross.

But as the first half went into injury time, Hamilton’s run won a corner for Prescot and as the resulting cross fell to Edgar in the penalty area, he found the net with a first time shot to double his side’s lead at the interval.

In the second half, Colne looked to reduce the arrears with Spencer Jordan working tirelessly on the right wing and prompting some good attacking moves. But Cables still looked dangerous on the counterattack and only a great tackle by Unsworth stopped Monaghan’s run towards the Reds goal, before Winstanley denied Dale Korie-Butler with a great headed clearance in the Colne goalmouth.

After 75 minutes, Aidan Chippendale’s tenacity won the ball and he found Webb-Foster on the left wing whose first time cross just eluded the unmarked Mamadou Djabi at the far post as Colne attacked. Five minutes later, Colne came close again when Cooke’s shot ricocheted to Webb-Foster in the goalmouth, but he screwed his first time shot across the face of the Prescot goal.

As Colne continued to attack in the closing stages, a well worked move on the right wing produced an inviting cross into the Prescot goalmouth, but Russell saw his header fly just over the bar as Prescot held on for a deserved win.

The result might be a blessing in disguise, as we won’t be distracted by the FA Cup as we were last season and it gives us food for thought about where we are now.


Colne F.C. line up:




Coleman (c)














Recent Posts