Daisy Hill F.C. 0 - 2 Colne F.C.

Colne took the first step on this season’s FA Cup trail, with a convincing win in the Extra Preliminary Round at North West Counties side Daisy Hill on Tuesday evening. Two first half goals were enough to see the Reds through to the next round and despite a fighting performance by the home side the score might have been more emphatic but for an outstanding performance by Daisy Hill’s keeper.

In a lively opening period, both sides created chances and Daisy Hill tested the Reds defence after only three minutes when Matty Davison’s run took him into the penalty area, before setting up Joe Mullarky who saw his shot blocked in the Colne goalmouth.

Four minutes later it was Colne who came close at the other end, when Sam O’Halleron’s low cross almost found Alex Samizadeh who saw the ball whipped off his toes in front of the home goal. And as the Reds put further attacking moves together, they were rewarded after 12 minutes when Aidan Chippendale’s diagonal free kick to the far post was half cleared to Alex Coleman, who found Samizadeh with a pass inside and he lashed the ball home with a shot on the turn to give Colne the lead.

Colne looked to be in the driving seat and coped comfortably with a series of Daisy Hill attacks, but after 20 minutes the home side came close when Davison raced clear on a through ball and his 16 yard shot was blocked by Hakan Burton before Lee Pugh cleared the danger.

In the end-to-end play, O’Halleron worked hard to find room around the home penalty area and with half time approaching, he was on hand to head home Charlie Russell’s cross at the far post, to finish off a great attacking build-up to double Colne’s lead at 2-0.

Early in the second half, Daisy Hill almost cashed in on a wayward back pass by the Reds and Davison had two goal-bound shots blocked before the ball was eventually cleared out of the Colne goalmouth.

On the hour Mamadou Djabi created chances with some enterprising runs, but Chippendale saw his shot blocked in the home penalty area and Djabi forced a good save from keeper Cameron Allison. But as play swung to the other end, Matty Knowles brought a good save from Burton following his run into the Colne area.

Colne looked for a third goal to make the tie safe and after 75 minutes had the ball in the net when Reece Webb-Foster’s shot was spilled by the keeper and Chippendale fired in the loose ball, only to be denied by an offside flag.

With ten minutes left, Webb-Foster forced another good save from the keeper with a well struck effort and Chippendale was denied when his superb curling shot was turned away from the top corner of goal in an athletic save by Allison.

Colne saw out the game with some good football in the closing stages and ran out deserved winners. They will look forward to playing Prescot Cables in the Preliminary Round on 12th September.

Colne F.C. Line Up



















Goodwin (GK)

Recent Posts