top of page

Witton Albion 1-0 Colne F.C.

Updated: Mar 3, 2023

Colne suffered a narrow defeat at Witton Albion on Saturday where they conceded a late penalty.  The Reds had battled throughout the game but failed to find a finishing touch to some promising attacks.

In the opening stages, Witton looked the most likely to open the scoring with some good attacks and James Lawrie flashed a shot across the face of the Colne goal after 15 minutes.  Elliot Rokka threatened with a run into the Colne area along the bye line before keeper Hakan Burton reacted quickly to claim the ball at his feet.

Colne came more into the game on the half hour and Owen Watkinson’s promising run was stopped by a last ditch tackle on the edge of the home penalty area.  And Craig Carney provided some good through balls as the Reds built some useful attacks.

But at the other end, Prince Haywood’s run and shot saw the ball cleared from the Colne goalmouth and minutes later Matty Kardacz made a good clearance following a penetrating run by Rokka into the Colne area.

With half time approaching, Colne came close when Watkinson’s cross from the bye line was headed over his own crossbar by Witton defender Ben Harrison.  And from the resulting corner keeper Ollie Martin claimed the ball in a goalmouth scramble at the near post.  And as Colne continue to press with good play by Ellis Wallbank and Jake Forshaw, another corner was met by Glenn Steel and his header flew across the face of the Witton goal on the stroke of half time.

As the second half began, Witton pressed forward with some good runs by Harry McGee and on the hour, they had loud claims for a penalty when McGee went down under challenge in the Colne penalty area but the referee gave a free kick in Colne’s favour.  

But Colne began to create more chances at the right end of the field and after 63 minutes a great shot by Ben Anderson brought a flying save from the keeper to push the ball round the post for a corner.  And keeper Martin frustrated the Colne attack with a good command of his area and some safe handling.  

As Colne looked to attack, they were still vulnerable to quick counterattacks by Witton and Haywood and Lawrie both blasted wild shots off target when they had sight of the Reds goal.

After 80 minutes, it was Colne who came close when Watkinson’s shot was blocked in the home penalty area and Carney’s follow-up was parried by the keeper before a defender whipped the ball off Luke Stowe’s toes in the goalmouth.

But six minutes later at the other end, Lawrie was brought down on a run into the Colne area and McGee fired home the spot kick for the winning goal for Witton.


Recent Posts

See All


Valutazione 0 stelle su 5.
Non ci sono ancora valutazioni

Aggiungi una valutazione
bottom of page