top of page

Trafford F.C. 2 - 2 Colne F.C.

Photo credit: Braithwaite Photography

Colne face a replay in the Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round on Tuesday night after a last gasp equaliser by Trafford on Saturday, just as the Reds looked to have clinched a win.

Colne’s second visit to the Shawe View Stadium followed a similar pattern to the game in the previous week with the home side taking a first half lead and the Reds coming back strongly in the second period, but two goals in a dramatic finale failed to separate the sides.

Trafford looked to have the edge in the opening stages and Darius Palma shot just wide from an opening after seven minutes. Five minutes later, Colne had the ball in the net at the other end when Enoch Takpe’s cross from the bye line was fired home from close range by Tom Brown, but the effort was ruled out for offside.

After 16 minutes, Connor Hughes was brought down 25 yards from the Colne goal but Matty Morgan’s free kick brought a good save from Hakan Burton on his line. Three minutes later, Trafford threatened again when Mike Burke’s shot on the turn rolled inches past the far post of the Colne goal.

Colne looked to hit Trafford on the break and Reece Webb-Foster’s long diagonal ball on the half hour released Tyler Forbes up the right wing who cut inside and shot just wide of the near post. But after 37 minutes Trafford took the lead when a cross from the right wing was headed home by the unmarked Hughes past a helpless Burton in the Colne goal. And five minutes later, Colne had a let-off when Palma broke clear but shot wide from a great chance.

As the second half began, Colne pushed forward and Billy Hasler-Cregg burst into the home area before blasting an angled shot just over the bar. But Trafford still threatened and Burton was in constant action dealing with shots and crosses into his goalmouth.

Colne came close on the hour when Takpe and Webb-Foster both had shots blocked in the home goalmouth, followed by loud claims for a penalty when a Trafford defender appeared to handle the ball in the area, but the referee was not convinced.

Colne’s enterprising attacks paid off after 69 minutes when Webb-Foster got past the defender and into the area to the left of goal and blasted a diagonal shot past the keeper and into the far corner of the net to level the scores at 1-1.

Both sides looked for a winner in an end-to-end contest and Burton raced from his area to make a tackle for a vital clearance. Colne forced several corners as they opened up the Trafford defence and after 89 minutes Webb-Foster took advantage of a half clearance to blast an unstoppable angled shot into the roof of the net to put the Reds in front.

The referee indicated two minutes added time to be played and Trafford took it to the wire as they snatched an equaliser with the very last kick of the game when a cross from the left was knocked home by Palma from close range to take the tie into a replay.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Forbes / Winstanley / Brown* / Turner / Taylor (C) / Williams / Roberts / Takpe / Webb-Foster / Hasler-Cregg


Dodd** / Russell*-** / Dugdale / Cannon-Noren


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page