top of page

Ramsbottom United F.C. 3 - 1 Colne F.C.

Image credit: Braithwaite Photography

Colne suffered their second defeat of the season in the local derby at Ramsbottom on Tuesday night.

They failed to find their form in the first half and despite a spirited second half showing had only a consolation goal scored very late on as scant reward.

In the opening stages both sides looked to attack, but it was the Rams who looked most dangerous with Jake Thompson on the right wing and James Murphy on the left wing, both providing good crosses which Aaron Turner and Tom Dean did well to clear from the Red's penalty area and debutant goalkeeper Ewan McFarlane showed some safe handling in his goalmouth.

Colne mounted sporadic attacks at the other end and came close after 16 minutes when Lee Pugh’s long throw was headed on at the near post and fell to Billy Hasler-Cregg who had two shots blocked at the far post.

But the Rams tested the Colne defence with a series of good attacks and on the half hour a corner kick was headed on and fell to Murphy at the far post who side footed home to give Ramsbottom the lead.

Colne pushed forward looking for an equaliser, but Ramsbottom were quick on the counterattack and McFarlane again showed safe hands when he held a goal-bound shot by Jamie Rother on his line. But with half time imminent disaster struck as a quick breakaway by Murphy gave Eddie Cooper a sight of goal and his low shot slipped through the hands of McFarlane to give Ramsbottom a 2-0 lead at the interval.

As the second half began, Colne substitute Olatunde Bayode prompted some good build-ups with his creative play and Reece Webb-Foster saw his shot deflected wide off a defender in the area. On the hour, a good build-up by the Reds saw Webb-Foster release Hasler-Cregg with a through ball, but Rams central defender Will Hall made a last ditch tackle to rob the Colne striker as he bore down on goal.

Further attacks by the Reds promised a goal, but shots by Hasler-Cregg and Oli Roberts flew wide of the Rams goal. After 83 minutes, a good build-up at the other end sent Godwin Abadaki into the Colne penalty area and his low shot squeezed under the diving body of McFarlane to give Ramsbottom a three goal lead.

In the last minute of the game, the Reds got a consolation goal when Pugh’s high cross from the touchline dropped over the head of home keeper Tom Stewart to reduce the arrears to 3-1.

The Reds will put the defeat behind them as they embark on a series of five home games in the coming weeks.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

McFarlane / Hornby-Forbes / Pugh / Baldwin* / Dean / Turner** / Williams / Roberts / Hasler-Cregg*** / Webb-Foster / Dugdale


Russell* / Bayode** / Burton / Winstanley / Taylor***


Recent Posts

See All


Avaliado com 0 de 5 estrelas.
Ainda sem avaliações

Adicione uma avaliação
bottom of page