top of page

Newcastle Town F.C. 5 - Colne F.C. 1

Colne crashed to their second defeat in four days against Newcastle Town on Tuesday night. The Reds made the long trip down the M6 hoping to bounce back from Saturday’s defeat against Bootle but instead were hit by a Newcastle side who found their scoring form to knock five goals past them on the night.

In the opening stages, it was Colne who did most of the attacking and came close to opening the scoring after 11 minutes when Paul Dugdale’s shot was blocked by the keeper in the goalmouth after a good build-up by Alex Dodd and Leon Johnson.

But the Reds were given a warning five minutes later when Tommy van der Laan saw his shot deflected just wide of the Colne goal off a defender. And two minutes later, Newcastle took the lead when a corner to the far post was headed home by James Askey.

Eight minutes later, Colne failed to clear a long throw into their penalty area and van der Laan went down as he was tackled from behind. The resultant penalty was fired home by Jack van der Laan to double Newcastle’s lead.

Colne looked for a reply with a series of promising attacks but as crosses went begging Joe Berks broke to the other end and forced a good save from Joel Torrance with a goal-bound shot.

As the second half began, Reece Webb-Foster was brought down just outside the home penalty area but Ryan Taylor’s free kick was curled just over the bar of the Newcastle goal. Colne pushed forward with more attacks and Johnson’s angled shot was saved by home keeper Owen Mooney at his near post.

On the hour, a Colne corner reached Dugdale at the far post and his downward header fell to Billy Hasler-Cregg whose close range shot was blocked on the line by the keeper’s legs as lady luck refused to smile on the Reds. And six minutes later, Hasler-Cregg beat the keeper to a through ball from Charlie Russell and chipped it over him towards the goal only to see it bounce agonisingly over the bar.

But with Colne doing most of the attacking, disaster struck at the other end when a back pass to the keeper fell short and Nathan Morley nipped in to slot the ball home and give Newcastle a three goal lead.

Colne continued to push forward and after 81 minutes Anthony Williams’ pass found Olatunde Bayode up front who turned across the edge of the penalty area and fired a low shot into the bottom corner of the net to bring the Reds back into contention at 3-1.

Two minutes later, Newcastle hit back when a free kick into the Colne area was headed home by Askey to restore his side’s lead at 4-1. And in the last minute of the game, the Reds conceded a second penalty when Challis Johnson went down as Torrance dived at his feet in the goalmouth and Askey converted the spot kick for his hat trick.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Torrence / Brown / Dugdale / Winstanley / Turner* / Taylor / Russell / Dodd*** / Hasler-Cregg / Webb-Foster / Johnson**


Roberts*** / Williams* / Bayode** / O'Halleron / Pugh


Recent Posts

See All


별점 5점 중 0점을 주었습니다.
등록된 평점 없음

평점 추가
bottom of page