top of page

Match Report - Mossley 1-1 Colne F.C.

Colne fought out a well deserved draw at high-fliers Mossley in monsoon conditions on Saturday. The Reds lifted themselves away from the lower reaches of the table with this result against a side in the play-off places.

Both sides showed attacking ideas in an even opening period with Colne keeper Tom Donaghy looking confident between the sticks and Tom Hoyle making some good clearances from the Colne penalty area. While at the other end, Craig Carney’s free kicks opened up the home defence and provided half chances for the Colne strikers.

It was a free kick after 20 minutes by Oli Roberts that released Owen Watkinson into the Mossley penalty area and when his shot was blocked, the ball was half cleared to Enock Lusiama who blasted a rising shot just wide of the goal from a great opening.

Colne pushed forward with a series of attacks and both Watkinson and Carney had shots blocked in the home area before a 20 yard free kick by Roberts was saved at the foot of the post by Mossley keeper Tom Watson on the half hour.

Mossley threatened at the other end with some high crosses which brought some good headed clearances by Paul Dugdale and Harry Winstanley to clear the danger under pressure. And Donaghy produced some good saves when needed.

With half time approaching, Colne’s debutant midfielder Alex Henderson released Lusiama for a run on goal but his shot was turned wide of the goal with a good save by Watson. And when the ensuing corner was headed down by Lusiama, Roberts followed up with a goal-bound shot that was blocked on the line by Watson.

As the second half kicked off, Colne came close with a series of shots in the Mossley goalmouth that were scrambled clear by the home defence. But Mossley came back with a series of corners that the Reds cleared under pressure.

On the hour, a good break by Henderson on the right wing set up a promising attack for Colne and Watkinson’s cross found Roberts beyond the far post where he side-stepped the defender before firing an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net to give the Reds the lead.

Two minutes later, Tom McCann released Lusiama for a run on goal but with just the keeper to beat his diagonal shot flew just past the far post. And in the next attack, Watkinson saw his goal-bound shot blocked after an exchange of passes with Lusiama.

As the heavens opened, Mossley came back strongly and put the Colne goal under pressure and after 73 minutes Jordan Butterworth saw his 20 yard shot crash against the Reds crossbar. Two minutes later, Mossley drew level when the Reds failed to clear a cross into their crowded goalmouth and Mason Fawns fired a low shot into the bottom corner of the Colne net.

Mossley stepped up the pressure looking for a winner with Sean Etaluku making lightning runs on the right wing and providing crosses into the Colne penalty area. But the Reds defence stood firm and Donaghy made a series of vital saves.

And in the closing stages, Colne might have snatched a winner themselves on the break as Lucas Weaver and Danny Kyobe brought fresh legs to the Reds attack.


Recent Posts

See All


評等為 0(最高為 5 顆星)。

bottom of page