top of page

MATCH REPORT: Colne march on in the Trophy

Colne claimed a place in the next round of the Isuzu FA Trophy with a memorable win against Bridlington Town on Tuesday evening. The Reds faced the long trek to the North East coast after the postponement of Saturday’s game but emerged worthy winners in a closely fought game.

Colne took the lead after only eight minutes when Glenn Steel released Lucas Weaver with a superb through ball up the left wing and his low cross found Owen Watkinson in the area who shot on the turn into the bottom corner of the net.

Colne continued to press and Watkinson’s 20 yard shot after fifteen minutes brought a great flying save by Bridlington keeper James Hitchcock to turn the ball round the post. And then as Tom McCann’s cross gave Weaver a sight of goal Hitchcock made another spectacular save to keep the ball out of his net.

Bridlington looked dangerous coming forward with Andy Norfolk and Lewis Dennison up front but the Colne defence gave them few chances with Paul Dugdale and Steel making some vital clearances.

The Reds had chances to increase their lead with Weaver creating openings on the left wing but his crosses failed to find a team mate in a scoring position.

As the second half began Bridlington pushed forward and Jack Griffin blasted a 20 yard shot just wide from a headed clearance by Craig Carney. And then a Brad Knox clearance was returned into the Colne goalmouth for keeper Andre Da Silva Mendes to punch clear under pressure.

But Colne came close at the other end on the hour when Weaver took the ball past the advancing keeper only to see his angled shot come back of the near post before Watkinson’s follow up was saved by Hitchcock.

Chances came and went at both ends but Colne stretched their lead with ten minutes left when Carney’s through ball released Jack Doherty into the area to the right of goal and he rounded the keeper before slotting the ball home into the far corner of the net.

Bridlington threw bodies forward in the remaining period and Griffin’s free kick flew inches over the Reds crossbar. And the home side reduced the arrears on 87 minutes when Ali Aydemir fired home a shot in a crowded Colne goalmouth.

But it was too little too late as the Reds ran out worthy winners and they go on to face Consett in a home tie in the next round on Saturday 24th September.


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page