top of page

MATCH REPORT: Colne F.C. 0-2 Kidsgrove

Colne’s hopes of a good start to their league campaign evaporated in the heat of a sun-baked Holt House as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat against Kidsgrove Athletic on Saturday. Phil Brown’s young side found themselves two goals behind at half time and despite a good second half performance finished empty-handed.

Colne looked good going forward in the opening stages and Luke Stowe’s shot was blocked in the visitors’ penalty area after just four minutes. A minute later, Lucas Weaver opened up the Kidsgrove defence with a promising run through the middle but lost his footing at the vital moment inside the penalty area. And Adam Mayor’s runs and crosses from the left wing offered more chances for the Reds strikers.

But Kidsgrove looked dangerous going forward and after 15 minutes a cross from the left wing was knocked back across the face of the Colne goal and Kieran Brown came in at the far post to turn the ball home and give the visitors the lead.

Colne looked for a reply but it was Kidsgrove who added a second goal on the half hour when a cross from the left wing fell to Kyle Diskin to fire home from inside the area.

Three minutes later, Colne suffered another blow when Harry Jones’ tackle on Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi earned him a straight red card and the Reds were reduced to ten men. And Colne keeper Hakan Burton needed to make a good save to keep out Diskin’s 20 yard free kick as Kidsgrove pressed home their advantage with half time approaching.

Colne Manager Phil Brown reshuffled the side at half time and steadied the ship. The Reds had a great chance after 50 minutes when substitute Jack Doherty won the ball off a defender and broke clear but as he rounded the keeper, the defender got back to clear the ball from the goalmouth.

Ten minutes later, Colne came close again when Craig Carney’s cross from the bye-line found Tom McCann and his shot was blocked by defenders in the goalmouth. As the Reds continued to create chances, Mayor’s cross gave Owen Watkinson a sight of goal but again the Kidsgrove defence stood firm to block his effort in the area.

At the other end, the reshuffled Colne defence dealt capably with Kidsgrove’s attacks and limited them to few shots. And it was Kidsgrove keeper Ryan Brown who made the last save of the game when he kept out Carney’s well struck shot on the half volley to deny Colne a consolation goal in the last minute of the game.

Saturdays Man of the Match, sponsored by Coalition Facilities Management was Craig Carney.


Recent Posts

See All


Noté 0 étoile sur 5.
Pas encore de note

Ajouter une note
bottom of page