top of page

Match Report - Colne 1-2 Hanley Town

Colne went down to their third league defeat of the season at home to Hanley Town on Bank Holiday Monday. The Reds again looked promising for long periods of the game and took the lead just before half time but just as in previous games, they were unable to hang on to the advantage as Hanley struck back with goals late in the game to take all three points.

Once again Colne started brightly with their young players creating a series of chances and a good move by Jack Doherty and Lucas Weaver released Owen Watkinson into the visitors’ area but his shot from a narrow angle was just wide of the near post. And as Colne continued to attack, a long throw into the area was headed just wide of the near post by Watkinson.

Colne’s wastefulness continued as Weaver raced clear on Brad Knox’s chip forward but shot wide and Doherty having robbed a defender was denied by the keeper’s outstretched foot in a one-on-one.

Hanley’s sporadic attacks tested the Colne defence and Danny Glover’s header was straight at Colne keeper Danny Thorpe before Carl Dickinson brought a good save from Thorpe to keep out his close range shot with his feet.

But Colne looked the more likely to score as they pressed forward with half time approaching and Weaver’s header was deflected wide off a defender after Luke Stowe’s cross to the near post. Then a good break by Watkinson and Craig Carney released Weaver into the area to the left of goal but his shot past the keeper rolled wide of the far post. But the Reds took the lead in the penultimate minute of the first half when Watkinson’s through ball sent Weaver into the penalty area to the right of goal and his low diagonal shot found the far corner of the Hanley net.

Ten minutes after the interval, Colne might have doubled their lead when Watkinson raced clear but as he burst into the penalty area, he was caught by a following defender who produced a last ditch tackle to rob him of the ball. Colne continued to press and Weaver went clear on the right wing on a through ball but pulled his shot across the face of goal.

On the hour, Watkinson’s cross gave Doherty a sight of goal on the edge of the area but his well struck shot was blocked by defenders in the area. And Stowe was denied by a good save by Hanley keeper Kieran Harrison at his near post after 68 minutes.

But three minutes later, Hanley grabbed an equaliser when the cross from a corner kick was headed home from close range by Dickinson to level the scores at 1-1. Hanley were lifted by the goal and in a subsequent attack, Dickinson again got his head to a cross from a corner and only a great diving save by Thorpe kept the ball out of the top corner of the Colne net.

As Colne looked to restore their lead, Stowe’s run into the Hanley area was brought to an end by a late tackle by Dickinson but the Reds claims for a penalty were waved aside by the referee.

With time running out, Hanley pushed forward again and the ball fell to Glover who found the Colne net with a low shot to snatch all three points with a late winning goal.


Recent Posts

See All


Evaluat(ă) cu 0 din 5 stele.
Încă nu există evaluări

Adaugă o evaluare
bottom of page