top of page

Market Drayton Town 0 - 5 Colne F.C.

Colne made it two wins in a row with a five goal thrashing of relegation candidates Market Drayton on Saturday. A hat trick by recent signing Ethan Sutcliffe plus goals by Jack Williams and Dean Ing were enough to see off the challenge of the Shropshire side on a blustery afternoon.

The Reds took the lead after only four minutes when a through ball released Ethan Sutcliffe on a run into the home penalty area and he lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper and into the net.

Two minutes later, Aaron Turner set up Elliott Rokka with a good diagonal pass and his shot was well saved by the keeper at the expense of a corner. And as Colne continued to press, Tom Lent’s deflected shot brought another good save from home keeper Ashley Rawlins.

Colne continued to attack on both wings with Danny Edwards on the right and Rokka on the left and threatened the home goal with free kicks just outside the area which flew just over the crossbar.

But as the game wore on, Market Drayton took advantage of the strong wind and began to look dangerous with some good attacks. But Hakan Burton was alert to the danger and was quickly off his line to claim the ball on several occasions.

As the second half began, Colne had the wind at their backs and Jack Williams made a penetrating run through the middle and found Rokka in the goalmouth but he shot wide with the goal at his mercy on 49 minutes. But three minutes later, Colne doubled their lead when a long ball forward from Burton sent Sutcliffe into the home area and he fired home from 12 yards.

More pressure from Colne had Market Drayton defending desperately and Edwards’ header was pushed over the bar by Rawlins at the expense of a corner. And when Rawlins missed the resulting cross, it fell to the far post where Sutcliffe fired into the roof of the net to give Colne a three goal lead after 56 minutes.

At the other end, Tom Dean cut out a quick break with a timely tackle on Eshan Greer as he burst into the Colne penalty area. And when James Dutton won a free kick in a dangerous position just outside the Colne area, Burton fisted away the resulting cross to clear the danger.

The Reds attacking moves always promised another goal and Williams’ shot was parried by the keeper before the ball was scrambled away. Then Dean Ing burst into the area and saw the ball come back off the post having ricocheted off defenders.

Oli Roberts’ corners had the home defence in trouble and after 80 minutes Rawlins punched a cross from under his bar and scrambled to keep out a shot by Dean by the post but was beaten by Williams’ follow-up as he blasted home from six yards to put Colne four goals up.

More chances came as Roberts’ cross was headed just wide by Ing and Edwards’ shot was pushed round the post by Rawlins. But Colne were awarded a penalty on the stroke of full time when Ing was tripped in the area and he drove home the resulting spot kick to round off the scoring at 5-0.


Recent Posts

See All


Avaliado com 0 de 5 estrelas.
Ainda sem avaliações

Adicione uma avaliação
bottom of page