top of page

Leek Town F.C. 2 - 0 Colne F.C.

Colne’s long run without a win continued at Leek Town on Saturday when they went down 2-0 despite an improved performance. A goal in each half was enough to give the home side the three points but the Reds created chances and might have had a better result on another day.

Colne welcomed back keeper Hakan Burton and he was in action in the opening minutes making a good save to keep out a far post header by Louis Keenan. The Reds looked good in midfield and began to create chances at the other end and Prince Haywood brought a good save from home keeper Danny Roberts after 14 minutes when Oli Roberts supplied a defence splitting pass.

But Leek looked dangerous with attacks on both wings and Burton made good saves to keep out goal bound headers from high crosses with Tom Dean and Jack Worrall making vital clearances from the Reds penalty area. Having survived a series of corners on 24 minutes, Colne conceded when Scott Wara fired a curling shot into the top corner of the net from 20 yards giving Burton no chance.

The Reds looked for an equaliser with Roberts and Elliott Rokka linking well in the attack and a great run by Rokka on 35 minutes ended with a shot that was held by the keeper on the line.

Colne pushed forward early in the second half and Haywood saw his shot deflected over the home goal in a good attack by the Reds. But after 57 minutes, Colne had a let-off at the other end when a quick counterattack by Leek left Burton stranded outside his area and Dean got back to clear the ball from the goalmouth with the net unguarded.

As play switched to the other end, Louis Myers set up a chance for Danny Edwards but his shot was blocked in the penalty area by the home defenders. But when Leek won a free kick to the right of Colne penalty area, the resulting cross was headed home at the near post by Tim Grice to double the home side’s lead after 62 minutes.

Leek threatened to increase their lead but Harry Winstanley made a great tackle to rob Will Saxon of the ball in the Colne goalmouth in a subsequent attack. And in the end-to-end play, Jez Uchegbulam burst into the home penalty area and saw his shot pushed on to the crossbar with an instinctive save by Leek keeper Roberts.

Colne pressed forward with more attacks in the closing stages with Paul Dugdale supplying good crosses into the home penalty area and Haywood coming close with several shots on target in a period of pressure in the home goalmouth.

But time ran out for the Reds as they finished with no reward for a much improved performance.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Worrall / Dugdale / Dean / Winstanley / Haywood / Roberts / Williams / Myers** / Edwards / Rokka*


Pugh** / Lent / Ellis / Uchegbulan*


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page