top of page


Colne came back empty-handed from Kidsgrove Athletic on Tuesday night despite taking an early lead in the game. The Reds missed out on much needed points and were desperately unlucky with some great chances in the closing minutes of the game.

Colne got off to a flying start when after only three minutes Luke Stowe made a great run on the left wing to the bye line and his low cross was turned in by Enock Lusiama from close range to give his side the lead.

The Reds continued to attack and a series of corners brought further chances as Tom Hoyle’s header was blocked in the penalty area before Kidsgrove cleared a dangerous cross at the near post. But as play swung to the other end, a cross-field pass found Kieran Knapper in space and he fired home a low diagonal shot to level the scores at 1-1 after eight minutes.

Kidsgrove pushed forward looking for another goal with Knapper making good breaks on the right wing and setting up scoring chances for team-mates. But Colne still looked capable of adding to their score as Stowe saw his well struck 25 yard shot fly just over the angle after 20 minutes. And 15 minutes later, a break by Stowe on the left wing released Owen Watkinson into the penalty area with just keeper Ryan Brown to beat, but the keeper did well to block his shot and his defenders came to the rescue to clear the ball off the goal-line.

Colne started brightly in the second half with Watkinson and Lusiama working hard up front to create chances. And Lucas Weaver fired a diagonal shot just over the Kidsgrove goal having cut in from the right wing after 65 minutes. And five minutes later, Kidsgrove rode their luck when Weaver’s hard driven cross was deflected into the arms of their keeper off a defender in the six yard box.

But after 80 minutes as Kidsgrove attacked down the right wing, a headed clearance by the Colne defence fell for Kyle Diskin who blasted a low diagonal shot into the far corner of the Colne net to give Kidsgrove the lead.

Colne pushed forward looking for an equaliser and after 84 minutes Paul Dugdale’s free kick was headed on by Harry Winstanley and flew just wide of the far post. The Reds threw everything forward in the closing minutes and a header by Watkinson came back off the post before being scrambled clear. Then from a corner deep in injury time, the ball was cleared off the goal-line in an almighty scramble as Lady Luck refused to smile on the Reds.


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page