top of page

Déjà vu at Glossop

Colne made the trip to Surrey street for the second time in four days as they faced Glossop once more after defeating them at the weekend.

Manager Paul Weller made a few changes from the weekends FA Cup win, with Watkinson missing through Injury, following a strong challenge in the previous game. Last-minute goalscorer Ryan Bolton also missed out due to holiday and Finley Devenney dropped to the bench with a niggle.

Full debuts for returning reds, Brad Knox & Billy Hasler-Cregg and Sam Pickles also got his first start for the reds.

Colne started on the front foot, playing some lovely football on the sandy Surrey Street pitch and on 8 minutes, the GNE keeper made a smart stop at his near post to deny the lively looking Pickles.

7 minutes later, Forshaw looked to have diverted a pin point Lloyd cross home, but once again Hood, on his second debut for GNE made a great reaction save from close range to deny Forshaw a first league goal for the reds.

Midway through the first half, Jack Burrows released Pickles who drove at the Glossop Back line and unleashed a powerful drive goalboud, but the outstretched Hood once more made a stunning save to deny the reds a deserved lead.

Glossop, offering little going forward were thankful of Hood again on 40 minutes as Lloyd broke through the defensive unit with ease, but couldn't beat Hood.

Yoak, returning to the Glossop side following a stint on the bench, had the Hillmens best chance of the first half with a powerful freekick from 40 yards, which Goodwin was equal to, diverting for a corner.

As the half eventually drew to a close following a dominating first half for the reds, Pickles looked certain to have given the reds the lead, his shot from 8 yards was superbly tipped around the post by Hood, leaving the entire ground scratching their head, on just how he managed to save that.

As the second half progressed, it was clear to see Michael Worthington had instructed the home side to pick up their intensity as they put some early pressure on the reds to deny them the time and space they had in the first half.

The home side got away with a series of corners, but Colne were pressing and on 60 minutes, Hasler-Creggs looping header was cleared off the line, onto the bar by Hartshome, somehow leaving the sides still level.

Just three minutes later, Freedman dispossessed the impressive McCann in the centre of the park, with Goodwin off his line, Freedman took aim from 40+ yards and his perfectly hit shot beat the scrambling Goodwin to send the home fans wild and give Glossop an undeserved lead.

Manager Paul Weller made instant changes, with debutant Thewlis replacing Pickles and Diakite replacing Hasler-Cregg.

Just four minutes later, the reds were level, Glossop could only half clear Lloyds corner and the ball fell to Wallbank, who's (self-proclaimed) Gerrard-Esque volley finally managed to beat the Glossop keeper.

The reds were out for the kill and with just ten-minutes remaining, the impressive looking Thewlis drove the ball to the by-line before pulling back across the box for Weaver who hit it first time from 15 yards to smash home beyond the outstretched keeper and to give the reds a thoroughly deserved lead.

Ten minutes of 'injury' time ensued from nowhere, but the reds held on for a 2-1 win for the second time in four days at the Home of Glossop, giving the home side their fourth consecutive defeat and consigning them to the bottom of the table.


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page