top of page

Colne F.C. 2 - 0 Glossop North End F.C.

Image credit: Braithwaite Photography

Colne bagged a welcome three points in their close fought encounter with Glossop North End on Saturday. Two goals by Oli Roberts were enough to seal the win, but Glossop will rue a series of missed chances throughout the game.

The Reds made a bright start to the game with some good attacking play. Ryan Taylor’s free kicks into the visitor's goalmouth provided half chances and Reece Webb-Foster was inches short at the far post after five minutes. And Glossop central defender Will Hartshorn headed behind his own goal to deny Tom Dean from another inviting cross on ten minutes.

As Colne continued to push forward, they took the lead after 19 minutes with a good build-up as Olatunde Bayode found Roberts inside the penalty area and he scored with a well measured shot just inside the far post through a crowd of defenders.

Glossop were stung into action and Aaron Turner and Taylor made great tackles to deny the visiting forwards as they made runs into the Colne area. And a diagonal shot by Sam Crawford dipped just over the Reds crossbar.

Webb-Foster looked likely to break clear on the half hour, but defenders closed him down and his final shot was easily saved by visiting keeper Harry Allen. With half time approaching it was Glossop who came close when a shot by Shakeel Jones-Griffiths was pushed over the Colne bar by the fingertips of debutant keeper Craig Ellison. And Ollie Putnam missed a great chance when he headed over the goal at the far post from an inviting cross.

As the second half began, Colne looked to extend their lead and Charlie Russell’s through ball sent Bayode clear on a run into the left side of the visitor's penalty area, but his shot past the advancing keeper flew wide of the far post.

Glossop pushed forward but the Reds defence held firm, with Ellison showing some good handling of high balls in his goalmouth.

After 75 minutes Colne almost doubled their lead when Alex Dodd saw his close range shot knocked away by Allen with an instinctive save.

Again, Glossop continued to push forward in search of an equaliser and after 86 minutes a half cleared corner fell to Mitchell Glover who rattled the Colne crossbar with a dipping 20 yard shot.

Within a minute, play switched to the other end and Webb-Foster’s run and cross from the right wing set up Roberts to fire home the Reds second goal from inside the area and make sure of a win for Colne.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Ellison / Turner* / Dugdale / Winstanley / Dean / Taylor / Russell / Roberts / Bayode** / Webb-Foster / Williams


O'Halleron** / Dodd* / Brown / Brown / Thorpe


Recent Posts

See All



bottom of page