top of page

Colne F.C. 1 - 2 Farsley Celtic F.C.

Colne went down to a narrow defeat on Saturday at the hands of Farsley Celtic from the National League North, two Divisions above the Reds.

In an end-to-end game, Colne held the lead at halftime but lost out to two strokes of misfortune in the second half.

In the opening stages, the visitors looked the more dangerous and Colne keeper Hakan Burton had to be alert to prevent Ben McKenna and Luke Parkin from scoring when through on goal. But as Colne settled into the game, they began to create chances at the other end with Ollie Roberts providing searching balls into the Farsley area, looking for Reece Webb-Foster to apply a finishing touch.

Ryan Taylor launched a series of free kicks into the visitors’ goalmouth looking for Tom

Dean’s head as the Reds carved out some half chances. Dean was in action at the other end on the half hour when he cleared the ball off the Colne goal-line after James Hanson and McKenna had combined to open up the Reds defence. Burton was

well placed to save Hanson’s downward header on the goal-line in a subsequent Farsley attack.

After 38 minutes, Charlie Russell and Harry Winstanley combined up the left wing to force a corner for the Reds and when the ensuing cross was only half cleared, Webb-Foster fired home the loose ball through a crowded goalmouth only to have the goal ruled out for a foul.

Three minutes later, the Reds had better luck when their trialist striker forced a good save from Farsley keeper Kyle Trenerry to push away his angled shot and Webb-Foster pounced at the far post to blast home the loose ball giving Colne the lead.

As the second half began Farsley pushed forward, but the Colne defence held firm with Dean commanding in the air and Tyler Forbes making some great tackles to stop the runs of Will Hayhurst on the left wing. But after 55 minutes, McKenna’s cross from the right wing struck a hand in the Colne area and the referee pointed to the spot. Hanson stepped up to fire home the resultant penalty levelling the scores at 1-1.

Farsley pushed forward again looking for a winner and Parkin’s shot was blocked by Dean before his next attempt was saved by Burton in a series of raids by the visitors.

Colne looked to hit back on the break and a good ball over the top after 70 minutes released Webb-Foster into the visitors’ area, but he was forced wide by the keeper and his shot from a narrow angle hit the near post and rebounded to safety.

Ten minutes later, Farsley took the lead from a corner kick to the near post where Burton failed to hold on to the slippery ball. As it fell in the goalmouth Tyler Walton reacted quickly to knock it home from close range.

Colne looked for an equaliser in the closing stages but Farsley keeper Trenerry was not to be beaten again as he punched away some high crosses from his goalmouth.

A respectable scoreline from a game that was a strong test of the Reds resources on the day.

On Saturday Colne are at Home to Lancaster City in their final friendly with a 3pm kick off.


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page