top of page

Colne F.C. 1-1 Macclesfield

Colne took a well deserved point from their game against top of the league Macclesfield at Holt House on Saturday. The Reds matched their opponents in every department throughout the game and took the lead with a superb goal after 21 minutes but were pegged back in the second half.

In the opening period, Macclesfield pushed forward with some strong attacks forcing a series of corners, and shots by James Berry and Neil Kengni tested the Reds defence. As Colne settled in, they began to create chances at the other end with Craig Carney prompting some good moves around the visitors’ penalty area.

After 19 minutes, Enock Lusiama’s diagonal ball found Lucas Weaver in space in the visitors’ penalty area and his shot flew inches past the far post. Two minutes later, the Reds went one better when Carney found Lusiama just outside the penalty area and he hit a vicious curling shot into the top corner of the visitors’ net that left the keeper rooted to the spot and give his side the lead.

Three minutes later, Oli Roberts’ 25 yard free kick brought a good save from the keeper as he knocked the ball round the post in a flying save. And as Colne kept up the pressure, Lusiama fired another powerful shot just wide of the Macclesfield goal.

Macclesfield looked for a reply and Tom Hoyle did well to clear the danger as Nathan Lowe made a penetrating run into the Colne penalty area. And Colne keeper Andre Mendes got down well to save a close range header on his goal-line.

But Colne looked for a second goal and Owen Watkinson had goal-bound shots blocked in the Macclesfield goalmouth in a good period of pressure for the Reds leading up to half time.

As the second half began, Weaver curled a shot just over the angle of the visitors’ goal from a good opening but as play switched to the other end, Macclesfield came close as Berry’s run took him into the Colne penalty area and his close range shot was deflected just wide of the near post by Mendes.

Berry continued to torment the Colne defence with his penetrating runs and shot just over the Reds bar. On the hour, Macclesfield drew level when a high cross from a free kick was headed against the Colne crossbar in a crowded goalmouth and Ibrahim Bakare followed up the knock the ball home for the equaliser.

Colne looked to restore their lead and Carney’s run found Lusiama who knocked the ball home as he challenged the keeper but the goal was ruled out for a foul. But Macclesfield looked the more dangerous and Tom Fagan did well to cancel out the threat of Macclesfield striker Tom Clare in a running battle between the two fully committed opponents.

In the closing stages, both sides looked for a winner and Macclesfield’s Nicky Maynard saw his shot blocked at the near post before being scrambled away by the Colne defence and Mendes came out to dive at the feet of Joe Bunney as he broke clear with a run on goal.

With the final whistle imminent, Colne pressed looking to snatch the points with Jake Wallace and Brad Knox linking well to carve out a match-winning chance but the Macclesfield defence held firm to ensure honours ended even.

Man of the match, Tom Fagan is presented his award from coach Mike Hale.


Recent Posts

See All


Obtuvo 0 de 5 estrellas.
Aún no hay calificaciones

Agrega una calificación
bottom of page