top of page

Colne F.C. 1 - 1 Clitheroe F.C.

Colne and Clitheroe shared the points in the Easter Monday derby at Holt House. In a close fought game, the Blues took the lead in the second half but Colne struck back within minutes to level the scores with a penalty.

In the opening stages, Colne looked good going forward and Danny Edwards broke through the visitors’ defence before losing his footing in the Clitheroe penalty area. And Oli Roberts saw his shot blocked on the edge of the visitors’ area in a subsequent Colne attack.

But at the other end, Sefton Gonzales headed the ball on to instigate a Clitheroe attack before a cross from the right wing flashed across the six yard box of the Colne goal after eight minutes. And two minutes later, another good break up the right wing and cross into the Reds goalmouth had Hakan Burton and his defence scrambling to clear the ball under pressure.

Within a minute at the other end, Jack Worrall’s cross was knocked goalward by Edwards and Chris Thompson produced a good save to push the ball over his crossbar.

Clitheroe threatened after 24 minutes when Max Cane burst through and saw his shot well saved by Burton. Then Danny Wilkins’ through ball released Jamie Edwards into the Colne area but his shot from a narrow angle flew over the crossbar. As Clitheroe continued to attack, they came close on the half hour when a low cross was knocked just wide of the near post of the Colne goal and after 38 minutes, Wilkins shot was blocked in the area following a series of crosses.

On the stroke of half time, Colne came close from a corner kick which was half cleared to Roberts and his low shot into the goalmouth was helped on by Dean Ing but cleared off the line by Billy Priestley. And in added time, a free kick by Roberts was pushed over the bar with another good save by Thompson.

The second half began with some end-to-end play with Edwards and Ing being caught by the offside flag in some promising attacks before Clitheroe’s Moses Yoak saw his dipping 30 yard shot fly just over the Colne crossbar. And after 71 minutes, Clitheroe took the lead when a high diagonal ball to the far post was bundled home by Priestley.

Colne looked for a quick reply and had claims for a penalty waved aside when Edwards went down under a challenge in the Clitheroe area. But in their next attack, a good passing move found Ing in a good position and he was brought down for a penalty. The Colne striker took responsibility for the spot kick and found the net despite the efforts of Thompson in goal to level the scores at 1-1.

As Clitheroe looked to restore their lead, Burton made some good saves and showed good handling of high balls into his goalmouth. Colne defended well in the closing stages to deny the visitors and secure a well deserved draw.


Recent Posts

See All


Mit 0 von 5 Sternen bewertet.
Noch keine Ratings

Rating hinzufügen
bottom of page