top of page

Colne F.C. 1-0 Runcorn Linnets

Colne got back to winning ways with a hard fought victory over Runcorn Linnets at Holt House on Saturday. The Reds battled all the way on a heavy pitch against their high flying opponents and took all three points thanks to a great quality goal by Tom Hoyle in the first half.

Both sides looked to attack from the kick off and Lewis Doyle fired a shot just wide of the Colne goal from a good chance after five minutes. Seven minutes later at the other end, Glenn Steel’s free kick found Owen Watkinson inside the Linnets penalty area and his first shot was blocked by a defender before his follow-up was saved by the keeper’s feet at the expense of a corner.

Colne came close again after 17 minutes when Craig Carney picked up the ball on the half way line and took it forward before trying a 40 yard lob which visiting keeper Danny Taberner turned over his crossbar at full stretch. And from the resulting corner, Enock Lusiama headed the cross inches over the bar.

Colne stepped up the pressure and two minutes later took the lead when Hoyle fired a 30 yard shot that flew into the net like a rocket past the helpless keeper.

Linnets looked for a quick reply and Matty Birchall made dangerous runs threatening the Colne defence and providing an opening for Sidi Fofana who saw his shot well saved by Hakan Burton in the Colne goal after 26 minutes. And Burton was in action again eight minutes later when he was well positioned to save a point blank header by Eden Gumbs.

As the second half began, Colne pushed forward with a series of attacks and a diagonal free kick into the Linnets goalmouth was headed against the bar by Harry Winstanley before being scrambled clear by the visitors’ defence.

At the other end, some long throws into the Colne penalty area provided half chances for the visitors but Burton commanded his area plucking the ball out of the air on several occasions.

In the closing stages, Danny Kyobe’s run on the right wing set up Watkinson with a sight of goal but his diagonal shot flew just past the far post with the keeper beaten. And Tom McCann linked well on the left wing to build a late attack when Watkinson crossed from the bye line for Carney who saw his shot blocked in the goalmouth by a desperate Linnets defence.

Colne held on confidently to take a well deserved three points from an all round well organised team effort.

1 comment

Recent Posts

See All

1 Comment

Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
Feb 05, 2023
Rated 5 out of 5 stars.

Big win!

bottom of page