top of page

Colne F.C. 1 - 0 Ramsbottom Utd

Image credit: Alfie Jennings

Colne seem to have turned their fortunes around with their third win in a row on Saturday. Back in September the Reds were on the wrong end of a 3-1 defeat in the away fixture against Ramsbottom but took their revenge with a hard fought battling display in difficult windy conditions at Holt House.

Colne got off to a flying start and took the lead after only five minutes when Hakan Burton’s long punt up field released Danny Edwards who slotted the ball through the legs of Rams keeper Tom Stewart in an end-to-end move.

Edwards continued to torment the visitors’ defence linking well with Oli Roberts on the left wing and looking to find Ethan Sutcliffe with crosses into the opposition penalty area.

On the half hour in a rare attack by Ramsbottom, Godwyn Abadaki made a good run into the Colne penalty area and Burton got down to block his close range shot to prevent an equaliser.

But with half time approaching, Colne continued to create chances with the wind at their backs and Aaron Turner saw his 25 yard shot fly just over the visitors’ crossbar and Edwards forced a good save by Stewart with a low shot after a good run into the area.

Colne began the second half brightly forcing a corner which was headed away from the goalmouth by the Ramsbottom defence. And on the hour, Roberts’ free kick was headed down on the edge of the area for Edwards who saw his goalbound shot blocked by a defender.

But the visitors now had the strong wind at their backs and began to test the Reds defence with some strong attacking play. Burton showed good handling taking dangerous crosses in the air in his goalmouth and did well to save Jason Carey’s shot on the turn after 67 minutes. A Ramsbottom free kick was headed away from the Colne goalmouth by Kingsley Williams as he helped out his defence and a good tackle by Turner on Tom Hartley brought his dangerous run to an end just outside the Reds penalty area.

Colne looked for a second goal from quick breakaways and Turner’s through ball gave Dean Ing a sight of goal as he beat the defender but his shot was saved by Stewart.

In the closing minutes, Ramsbottom pressed forward looking for an equaliser and the Reds defended stubbornly. Deep into injury time, a diagonal free kick into the Colne area was headed across the crowded goalmouth and cleared by the resolute Reds defence under pressure. But as the final whistle sounded, Colne ran out worthy winners after a hard fought game.


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page