top of page

Colne F.C 0 - 1 Newcastle Town F.C.

Colne went down to a narrow defeat against fellow strugglers Newcastle Town at Holt House on Saturday. Despite battling hard on a heavy pitch, their inability to score goals cost them dear as a single strike by the visitors was enough to take all three points.

Colne pushed forward in the early stages with Danny Edwards making good runs into the final third and Oli Roberts providing good balls into the danger area for the Red's strikers. And Dean Ing saw his close range shot deflected wide for a corner on 15 minutes.

But eight minutes later as play switched to the other end, Colne came under pressure from a free kick into their penalty area and when this was only half cleared, Will Lloyd made a great run through defenders into the Colne box. James Askey saw his shot blocked and the ball spun away to the far post where Jack Lovatt fired home to give Newcastle the lead.

Colne responded with a series of good attacks with dangerous crosses into the visitor's penalty area and Kingsley Williams was denied by a last ditch tackle to block his shot inside the area. Newcastle defended strongly and conceded free kicks in inviting positions but the Reds were unable to find the net with direct shots and visitors’ keeper Joe Slinn showed good handling to deny Ing any joy from high balls into the goalmouth.

As the second half began, it was Newcastle on the attack and only a great save by Colne keeper Hakan Burton with his feet prevented Lovatt from scoring to double the visitors lead.

But as play switched to the other end, Roberts almost levelled the scores with a 25 yard free kick that was pushed round the post with a diving save by Slinn. And from the resulting corner, Tom Dean’s header flew wide of the far post.

More Colne attacks failed to find a good finish and Newcastle were dangerous on the break as Harry Winstanley made a vital challenge to dispossess Ethan Vale as he burst into the Colne area on the hour. And Prince Haywood cleared a searching cross at the far post following Joe Burke’s run to the bye line.

In the closing stages, Jack Williams’ run in the area gave Rocca a sight of goal but he lifted his shot over the bar from a good opening. And as Colne increased the pressure, Jack Worrall’s shot was blocked in the area at the expense of a corner before the resulting cross eluded the keeper and Roberts fired over the bar from a golden opportunity.

Despite the continuing pressure in a lengthy period of injury time, Newcastle hung on for a hard earned win and Colne must continue their search for an elusive victory.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Haywood / Dugdale / Dean / Winstanley / Roberts / Russell* / Williams / Ing** / Edwards / Rokka


Worrall* / Williams** / Lent / Myers / Thorpe


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page