top of page

Colne F.C. 0 - 1 Mossley AFC

It was a case of injury time heartache as Colne conceded a late late goal on Tuesday night to slip to defeat against Mossley at Holt House. The Reds had battled hard to match their opponents and could well have been ahead by that stage, but a defensive lapse let in the visitors’ striker to grab the three points.

Colne looked lively in the opening stages and Aaron Turner made a confident start on his debut at the centre of the Red's defence mopping up some Mossley attacks. After five minutes Colne came close to opening the scoring when Ollie Roberts brought a good save from Mossley keeper Dale Latham to push his shot wide of the goal.

Tom Brown prompted some good runs by Billy Hasler-Cregg with well measured through balls and when Lee Pugh’s cross was laid back by Roberts, Ryan Taylor saw his shot saved on the line by Latham. Anthony Williams’ chip sent Reece Webb-Foster through on a run and Latham was out to head the ball clear from the edge of his area.

As the second half began, Mossley threatened with some good attacks, but Harry Winstanley was on hand to clear the danger. After 55 minutes, Brown’s through ball at the other end gave Enoch Takpe a sight of goal, but Latham was down to claim the ball at his feet.

Colne launched a series of attacks on the left wing and Hasler-Cregg supplied some great crosses into the visitors’ goalmouth, but these went begging as the Mossley defenders made some strong clearances. When Webb-Foster’s cross reached Roberts in the penalty area, he went down under a challenge but the referee waved aside Colne’s claims for a penalty.

The game became end-to-end and Colne keeper Hakan Burton made some good saves to keep out a series of high crosses in his goalmouth as Mossley forced a number of corners. The Reds continued to press at the other end and Webb-Foster saw his goal-bound diagonal shot pushed past the far post in a one-handed save by Latham to deny the Colne striker. Two minutes later at the other end, Burton made a vital save when he blocked a shot by Connor Morris with his feet in the Colne goalmouth to keep the scoresheet blank.

On the stroke of full time, a free kick into the visitors’ area saw Webb-Foster tumble to the ground under a challenge but the free kick was awarded against him. With time running out play switched to the other end and the Colne defence failed to clear the ball from their goalmouth and Anthony Brown took the opportunity to slide a low shot past Burton for the winning goal.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Forbes / Pugh (C)* / Winstanley / Brown** / Turner*** / Taylor / Williams / Roberts / Hasler-Cregg / Webb-Foster


Dugdale / Dodd** / Cannon-Noren*** / Takpe*


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page