top of page

Colne F.C. 0 - 1 Kendal Town F.C.

Image credit: Matthew Riley

Colne slid to defeat against Kendal Town on Saturday in a game they would have liked to have won under the gaze of their new manager Jon Macken. The Reds struggled to find their form on a heavy pitch and missed a host of chances whilst conceding a killer goal ten minutes from the end.

The game got off to a promising start with Colne pressing the visitors defence and creating half chances in the Kendal penalty area. They had the ball in the net after only two minutes only to see the effort ruled out for Dean Ing’s challenge on the keeper and more pressure suggested an early goal for the Reds.

But as Kendal settled into the game, chances came at the other end and Ryan Forde made a good save after 17 minutes to keep out a goal-bound header from a corner kick by the visitors. And seven minutes later, Cameron Gourley cleared the ball off the Colne goal-line after Daniel Edwards had got past Forde in the Reds penalty area.

At the other end, Colne came close on the half hour when Ryan Taylor’s free kick found Charlie Russell in the visitors’ area but his firm header was well saved by Kendal keeper James McGleneghan. And on the stroke of half time, Lee Pugh headed wide at the far post from another free kick by Taylor.

Colne pressed forward as the second half began and Reece Webb-Foster’s low cross found Paul Dugdale at the far post but he shot wide from a great chance. Then a series of corners saw Pugh’s header pushed over the bar in a great save by McGleneghan.

But Kendal were quick on the break and on the hour, Harry Cannon-Noren did well to block a shot by Edwards after a run into the Colne area before Tom Fagan’s follow-up flashed across the goalmouth. Four minutes later, a diagonal free kick found Will Higham at the far post and his volley rattled the Colne crossbar.

But Colne forced a series of free kicks around the Kendal penalty area at the other end without converting them and once again McGleneghan did well to save Russell’s shot on the line in a crowded goalmouth.

And Colne were caught on the counterattack after 79 minutes when Joel Brogan broke from the half way line on a solo run holding off defenders and finished with a low shot inside the far post to give Kendal the lead.

In an end to end finale, there were saves by the keepers at both ends of the field and Kendal’s defenders blocked a series of shots in their goalmouth to hold on to the lead as the game went to five nail-biting minutes of extra time before the final whistle.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Forde / Cannon-Noren** / Winstanley / Gourley / Pugh / Taylor / Russell*** / Roberts / Ing* / Webb-Foster / Dugdale


Thorpe / Turner** / Dodd / Bayode* / Ellis***


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page