top of page

Colne F.C. 0 - 1 Guiseley AFC - FA CUP Second Round Qualifying

Image credit: Braithwaite Photography

Colne’s FA Cup run came to an end with a narrow defeat at the hands of Guiseley on Saturday. The Reds gave a good account of themselves against a side from two leagues higher but conceded a late goal to deny them further progress.

In the opening stages both sides fought to gain advantage in midfield, but the visitors created a series of half chances with Jake Day heading a cross just over the Colne bar after 12 minutes. 10 minutes later, Regan Hutchinson shot just wide after a cross by Jamie Spencer reached him at the far post.

Reece Webb-Foster battled hard to make headway against the Guiseley defenders and broke clear on a through ball from Charlie Russell on the half hour, but his shot was pushed wide by the advancing keeper Luke Jackson at the expense of a corner. The resulting cross caused panic in the visitors’ goalmouth, as Tom Dean headed the ball down for Tyler Forbes whose shot was blocked on the line and scrambled clear amid claims for a penalty by the Reds.

In Colne’s next attack, Webb-Foster headed the ball across the visitors’ penalty area but Russell lifted his shot over the bar with a clear sight of goal. As the Reds continued to enjoy a good period of attacking play, Anthony Williams headed wide from Paul Dugdale’s cross. On the stroke of half time, Olatunde Bayode curled an angled shot just over the top corner of the visitors’ goal from another good opening.

The second half began brightly with Webb-Foster seeing his well struck shot saved by Jackson, but minutes later Guiseley won a free kick inches outside the Colne penalty area for a hand ball incident. Fortunately the defensive wall did its job in blocking the resulting shot.

As the game wore on, Guiseley began to create the better chances and Jake Hull headed just wide from a corner after 65 minutes and ten minutes later Dean made a vital clearance from the toes of Kaine Felix as his run took him into the Colne penalty area.

After a series of half chances, Guiseley took the lead when Jordan Thewlis made a run across the edge of the Colne penalty area and fired home a low shot into the bottom of the Reds net after 83 minutes. The Reds looked for an equaliser but the visitors were clearly lifted by the goal and were in no mood to concede at this stage.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Hornby-Forbes / Dugdale / Winstanley / Dean / Taylor / Russell** / Williams*** / Roberts / Bayode* / Webb-Foster


O'Halleron*** / McFarlane / Dodd* / Turner / Brown** / Pugh


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page