top of page

Colne Exit The Buildbase FA Trophy On Penalties

Colne lost out on penalties to Tamworth in their Buildbase FA Trophy tie on Saturday despite looking the better side for most of the game. The Reds took the lead late on in the second half and looked on course for a deserved win, but were pegged back by a quick reply and ultimately paid the price in the penalty shoot out.

Colne attacked from the start and might have gone ahead after only four minutes when Lee Pugh’s long throw into the visitors’ penalty area fell to Billy Hasler-Cregg who laid the ball back for Reece Webb-Foster to strike a firm low shot through a crowd of defenders. But Tamworth’s keeper got down well to knock the ball away from the bottom corner of his goal.

The Lambs took time to settle and began to create some chances but the Colne defence looked solid with Harry Winstanley and new signing Matt Lawlor cutting out some dangerous balls. Tamworth’s Alex Jones came close after 19 minutes when he forced a good save from Colne keeper Hakan Burton after a strong run on the left wing.

Colne still looked the more likely to break the deadlock and Webb-Foster’s run through the middle released Paul Dugdale with a clear sight of goal, but he lifted his shot over the bar from a good chance inside the penalty area. The Reds continued to threaten with a series of corners and long throws into the goalmouth and Pugh flashed a close range header across the face of goal with the visitors’ defence under pressure.

The scoresheet was blank at half time and the second half became scrappy although played at a fast pace. On the hour however, Colne had a great chance when Webb-Foster released new striker Dean Ing with a through ball but his shot past the advancing keeper flew wide of the far post. Minutes later Anthony Williams made a great run into the penalty area and was brought down by a defender’s tackle but the referee waved aside Colne’s loud claims for a penalty.

After 77 minutes, Colne made the breakthrough when Ryan Taylor’s 25 yard diagonal free kick found the top corner of the net to put the Reds in front. Hardly had the celebrations died down when Tamworth snatched an equaliser as Tyrell Waite stole into the home penalty area and knocked the ball past Burton from close range to level the scores at 1-1.

As Tamworth pressed forward looking for a second, Colne blocked two well struck efforts from a free kick into their penalty area but as play switched to the other end, an almighty scramble in the Tamworth goalmouth resulted in Winstanley firing over the visitors crossbar.

Neither side could grab a winner in the grandstand finish and so as the game went to penalties, it was Tamworth who held their nerve to clinch a 4-3 win from the spot kicks.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Cannon-Noren / Dugdale / Winstanley / Lawlor / Taylor / Williams / Pugh / Ing / Webb-Foster / Hasler-Cregg*


Dodd / Roberts* / O'Halleron / Thorpe


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page