top of page

Colne 5 Warrington Rylands 0

Colne sailed through to the second round of the Isuzu FA Trophy with a five goal thrashing of Warrington Rylands at Holt House on Saturday. The Reds were again up against higher league opponents, but just as at Hyde in the previous round, they rose to the occasion and fought out a memorable victory.

Colne got off to a flying start and took the lead in the first minute when Owen Watkinson laid the ball back for Craig Carney to place a low 12 yard shot into the bottom corner of the visitors’ net.

Warrington looked for a quick reply and Dylan Vassallo’s penetrating run and cross gave Harry Pratt a sight of the Colne goal but Andre Mendes made a great save at his near post to deny the Rylands striker.

As Colne attacked again on 11 minutes, Brad Knox was upended just outside the visitors’ penalty area and Oli Roberts stepped up to fire the free kick over the defensive wall and into the top corner of the net to double the Reds lead.

Again Rylands looked for a reply but Colne defended well with Glenn Steel making a vital tackle to stop the run of Sean Cooke as he bore down on goal and Mendes producing another good save to keep out Callum Dolan’s shot.

But Colne were still hungry for goals and after 23 minutes went three ahead when Enock Lusiama’s shot was a blocked in the area and the rebound fell to Knox whose follow-up was deflected over the line by Watkinson in a crowded goalmouth.

Ten minutes later, the Reds made it four when a free kick into the Rylands penalty area was punched by the keeper and fell to Tom Hoyle who made no mistake as he found the net with a cool finish.

Rylands stepped up the pace at the beginning of the second half and Hoyle made a great tackle to halt the run of Dolan as he burst through the Colne defence. But after 51 minutes, Warrington were reduced to ten men when Kane Drummond was sent off for a late challenge.

The visitors still pressed forward but were vulnerable on the break and Colne almost cashed in with a good end-to-end move by Knox and Lusiama before Carney blasted a shot just over the visitors’ bar. And on the hour, the Reds went further ahead when Rylands keeper Joel Torrance strayed out of his area and was left stranded as Lusiama rolled the ball into the empty net for a five goal lead.

As the visitors looked for a consolation goal, Jak McCourt saw his well struck 25 yard shot come back off the post of the Colne goal after 80 minutes. Five minutes later, a cross into the crowded Colne penalty area saw the referee point to the spot for an infringement and Dolan stepped up to take the penalty. But Mendes dived to his right to knock the shot away and keep a clean sheet.

The Reds ran out comfortable winners and will look forward with confidence to the next round having now disposed of four opponents in fine style on a stunning cup run.

Man of the match, Glenn Steel is presented with the man of the match trophy from Co+Chairman, Glenn Stock.


Recent Posts

See All


Avaliado com 0 de 5 estrelas.
Ainda sem avaliações

Adicione uma avaliação
bottom of page