top of page

Colne 1 - 0 Trafford

Colne earned a vital three points with a hard fought win against Trafford at Holt House on Saturday. Despite the fog rolling in just before kick off, the game went ahead although visibility was restricted to half the field at times.

The Reds started brightly with some good attacking moves providing dangerous crosses into the Trafford penalty area. And visiting keeper Matty Cooper punched away several high balls before seeing Reece Webb-Foster’s chip drop just over his crossbar.

As play switched to the other end, Trafford came close when Curtis Miller’s low shot was turned round the post by a good save by Colne’s debutant keeper Ryan Forde. And the Reds needed to clear a series of corner kicks as the visitors kept up the pressure.

Colne came close after 22 minutes when a ball over the top released Matty Morgan into the Trafford penalty area and his firmly struck shot was blocked by Cooper. And as the Reds continued to attack, Cooper was quickly off his line to deny Webb-Foster as Morgan’s cross reached him in the goalmouth.

After 36 minutes, Colne took the lead when a through ball released Webb-Foster for a run on goal and he beat Cooper with a well taken 20 yard shot inside the far post. And the Reds might have doubled their lead on the stroke of half time with a good move by Webb-Foster and Oli Roberts before Charlie Russell fired just over the Trafford crossbar.

In the second half, Trafford looked for an equaliser and after 57 minutes the ball fell to Matty Barlow in space in the Colne penalty area. But Forde got down to block his close range shot and prevent a certain goal with a vital save.

Further attacks by the visitors saw Aidan Roxburgh forced wide by Ryan Taylor before shooting just wide of the near post and James Nield headed over the Colne crossbar from Miller’s curling cross to the far post. And the Colne defence continued to look strong under pressure with some great clearances by Harry Winstanley and Matty Makinson.

At the other end, Webb-Foster saw his shot well saved by Cooper before shooting wide from another chance in the closing stages. But on the stroke of full time, Cameron Gourley made a great tackle to block the shot of Harrison Bickerton in the Colne goalmouth to prevent an equaliser as the Reds held on for a well deserved three points.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Forde / Gourley / Dugdale / Makinson / Pugh / Winstanley / Russell* / Taylor / Morgan** / Webb-Foster / Roberts


Bayode** / Williams* / Cannon-Noren / Ellis / Thorpe


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page