top of page

Colne 0 - 3 Workington

Image credit: Jonathan Moore

Colne went down to a three goal defeat against high flying Workington at Holt House on Saturday. The Reds were outgunned by the visitors and even though they had the advantage of an extra man for the last 35 minutes, they failed to take advantage.

Some end-to-end play in the opening stages promised an open entertaining game but the visitors looked dangerous as Harry Winstanley and Matty Makinson made good headed clearances from the Colne area and Sam Smith sent a header just over the Reds crossbar after seven minutes.

At the other end, Lee Pugh instigated some promising attacks with good through balls and Anthony Williams non-stop running created chances for Dean Ing and Reece Webb-Foster up front.

But on 20 minutes, Bradley Carroll made a threatening run through the Colne defence before testing Hakan Burton with a low shot into the goalmouth. Four minutes later, Workington took the lead when Bradley Hubbold made a jinking run into the Reds penalty area and saw his shot through a crowd of players come back off the far post for Connor Tinnion to knock the ball home from close range.

Things got worse for Colne on 35 minutes when they failed to pick up the unmarked Tinnion from a corner kick and he was allowed a free shot inside the near post to double Workington’s lead.

Colne looked for a quick reply with Ryan Taylor’s free kick being cleared from the visitors’ goalmouth. But Workington came close again on the stroke of half time when Carroll’s well struck shot was deflected just wide of the Reds goal.

As the second half began, Colne pushed forward and created a series of chances. Matty Morgan sent a 20 yard shot just over the bar before seeing his hard low cross deflected wide of the near post in a subsequent attack. And Taylor’s free kick just eluded Paul Dugdale at the far post as the Reds promised to reduce the deficit.

Workington were reduced to ten men after 54 minutes when Reuben Jerome’s tackle on Olatunde Bayode earned him a straight red card from the referee. But three minutes later, David Symington scored a third goal for the visitors with a run on the right and a low shot from a narrow angle into the far corner of the net.

Colne stepped up the pace with fresh legs from the subs bench and Charlie Russell fired an angled shot just over the bar after a promising run but the visitors defence still looked a hard nut to crack. In the closing stages, an enterprising run by Bayode on the left wing gave Oli Roberts a sight of goal and when his shot was blocked in the area, Webb-Foster followed up to blast a shot against the post and deny the Reds a consolation goal.

The win moved Workington up into second place in the table and is a measure of the standard of teams that need to be beaten in order to progress in this league.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Cannon-Noren** / Dugdale*** / Makinson / Winstanley / Taylor / Williams* / Pugh / Ing / Webb-Foster / Morgan


Bayode* / Dodd / Roberts*** / O'Halleron / Russell**


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page