top of page

Colne 0 - 2 Prescot Cables

Image credit: Arron Saints Cables LFC (Twitter)

Colne’s woes continued as they went down to yet another defeat at Holt House on Saturday. Prescot Cables took the lead in only the first minute and went on to take all three points and leapfrog over the Reds in the bottom four of the table.

The visitors attacked right from the kick off and put the Colne defence under pressure. A half clearance was returned as a diagonal pass from the right wing into the penalty area where Sam O’Halleron swept the ball home with a low shot into the net for the opening goal.

Colne were stung into action and Paul Dugdale’s high cross was knocked away from under his crossbar by Cables keeper Ged Ward. And as the Reds continued to look for an equaliser with Danny Edwards supplying more good crosses from the left wing, Tom Dean’s powerful downward header was blocked in the goalmouth and the ball scrambled clear. And on the half hour, Colne had the ball in the net only to have the goal disallowed for a foul on the keeper.

Elliott Rokka’s penetrating runs opened up the visitors defence and Prince Haywood’s inviting crosses looked like bringing a reward for Colne but their finishing failed to trouble Ward in the Cables goal.

As the second half began, Colne again pushed forward and had loud claims for a penalty waved aside when Rokka was brought down in the visitors’ area under a strong challenge from two defenders. But the Reds increased the pressure forcing a series of corners and on the hour Rokka saw his overhead kick fly just over the crossbar of the visitors’ goal. Ethan Sutcliffe made some telling runs into the Cables penalty area and almost broke the deadlock with a far post header after 69 minutes .

But disaster struck two minutes later as a quick break to the other end by Cables produced a back pass to Colne keeper Hakan Burton and the ball bobbled over his foot as he tried to clear and rolled into the unguarded net to double Prescot’s lead.

Colne laid siege to the Prescot goal in an effort to reduce the arrears but shots by Rokka and Dean Ing were blocked in the goalmouth which at times resembled a battlefield as the Prescot players put their bodies on the line in a desperate defence of their goal. And Colne were unable to make the breakthrough as time ran out for the Reds in the end.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Burton / Haywood / Dugdale / Dean / Lent** / Russell / Roberts*** / Williams* / Sutcliffe / Rokka / Edwards


Worrall*** / Williams* / Ing** / Turner / Thorpe


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page