top of page

Clitheroe F.C. 5 - 1 Colne F.C.

It was a case of Boxing Day blues for the Reds as they crashed to defeat with a 5-1 beating at Clitheroe. Both sides were below strength but it was the home side who shone on a dark afternoon with a dazzling display.

Colne started brightly with a series of attacks as Lee Pugh tested the home defence with a long throw into the goalmouth and Ryan Taylor forced Clitheroe keeper Chris Thompson into a good save to keep out his free kick in only the second minute of the game.

But Clitheroe looked dangerous on the break and Matty Makinson was injured in making a clearance from the Colne penalty area after four minutes and needed to be replaced five minutes later due to the injury, necessitating a reshuffle in the Colne defence.

Colne continued to attack with good runs by Charlie Russell and Reece Webb-Foster but as play switched to the other end, a Clitheroe corner was played long to the far post and headed back across goal where Terry Cummings headed home to give his side the lead after 21 minutes.

Clitheroe’s celebrations were short lived as three minutes later, Pugh’s long throw into the home goalmouth was headed on and fell to Anthony Williams at the far post to fire a shot into the top corner of the net to level the scores at 1-1.

Clitheroe pressed forward looking to restore their lead and came close as Ryan Forde made a one-handed save to keep out a looping shot before Taylor cleared the loose ball off the goal-line. But minutes later, Cole Lonsdale fired a 20 yard free kick into the Colne net off the left hand post giving Forde no chance.

As Clitheroe pressed home their advantage with further attacks, Cameron Gourley came to the rescue clearing the ball from the Colne goalmouth as Max Cane burst through the Reds defence. And after 33 minutes, Billy Priestley rose above the Colne defence to head home a corner kick and stretch his side’s lead to 3-1.

Five minutes later, Pugh’s back pass fell short and Cane nipped in to slot the ball home and give Clitheroe a 4-1 lead at the interval.

As the second half began, Colne looked to reduce the deficit with Olatunde Bayode providing chances for Webb-Foster up front but the Clitheroe defence gave him few sights of goal and Pugh’s long throws were headed away by the tall figure of Priestley at the centre of the home side’s rearguard.

But Clitheroe still looked capable of increasing their lead with a series of quick attacks on either wing and the Reds defence did well under pressure to clear the ball from their goalmouth on several occasions.

Colne threatened on the hour when Pugh’s header from a free kick fell to Harry Winstanley whose shot was blocked on the edge of the home penalty area. And minutes later, Russell almost got his head to the ball as Webb-Foster’s shot sailed just past the upright of the Clitheroe goal.

In the closing minutes, Clitheroe threatened with some good attacks up the right wing and Cummings cut inside and finished with a low shot into the far corner of the Colne net to round off the scoring at 5-1.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Forde / Gourley / Dugdale / Makinson* / Pugh / Taylor / Russell / Roberts** / Bayode*** / Webb-Foster / Williams


Cannon-Noren* / Winstanley** / Ellis*** / Thorpe


Recent Posts

See All


Mit 0 von 5 Sternen bewertet.
Noch keine Ratings

Rating hinzufügen
bottom of page