top of page

City of Liverpool 0 - 0 Colne F.C.

Colne earned a point with a hard fought scoreless draw at City of Liverpool on Tuesday night. The Reds battled hard in a game where both sides competed strongly from start to finish.

In the opening stages, the home side looked good going forward and James Steele tested the Reds defence with some good runs and crosses into their goalmouth. But a succession of good clearances by Paul Dugdale, Aaron Turner and Tom Dean kept the Colne goal intact. And Hakan Burton’s outstanding handling repeatedly took the sting out of the home side’s attacks.

Burton created a good chance after 12 minutes with one of his long high balls up the field which was headed on by Ethan Sutcliffe for Jack Williams to burst into the home penalty area but the ball was whipped off his toes by the home defence. On the half hour, Burton denied the home side with a great tackle as a diagonal cross reached Steele in the Colne goalmouth.

As Colne continued to improve towards half time, Turner’s cross from the right wing was met by Williams at the near post but his header was pushed behind by home keeper Aidan Dowling at the expense of a corner.

Early in the second half, Williams’ penetrating run through the middle of the home defence brought a free kick in a good position but Oli Roberts’ shot dipped just over the crossbar. And as Colne continued to push forward, they were caught by a quick counterattack in which Steele looked to be on for a goal as he burst clear but Tom Lent got back to force him wide and deny him a shot at goal.

A promising move on 65 minutes saw Kingsley Williams release Sutcliffe for a run up the left wing and as he cut inside his shot was blocked by a defender in the penalty area. But five minutes later at the other end, Jack Walls’ cross into the Colne goalmouth was sliced towards his own goal by Prince Haywood and only a great fingertip save by Burton to turn it over the bar prevented a goal for the home side.

In the closing stages, MJ Monaghan had a great chance as he jinked his way into the Colne penalty area but his shot was blocked by Burton at point blank range. While at the other end, Dean Ing was twice denied by Dowling who made good saves to keep out his goal-bound shots.

The Reds are now unbeaten in four games in which they have not conceded a goal. This coming Saturday they will face a stiff test when they welcome fourth placed Leek Town to Holt House.


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page