top of page

Burnley Utd F.C. 2 - 3 Colne F.C.

Colne began their pre-season build-up with a confident display against West Lancashire League side Burnley United at Barden Sports Ground on Saturday. The Reds fielded a blend of trialists and established players and manager Nathan Rooney will have been pleased with the overall performance.

Colne started well with some probing attacks but were hit on the break after ten minutes when Dan Clegg crossed from the right for Sameed Ellahi to head home at the far post giving Burnley the lead.

The Reds pressed forward looking for an equaliser, but Burnley keeper Henry Beckingham-Burgess dealt confidently with several efforts before he was beaten by a well struck shot by Billy Hasler-Cregg that left him rooted to the spot after 14 minutes.

Colne mounted further attacks and Ollie Roberts came close on several occasions as he found gaps in the Burnley defence. On the half hour, the Reds took the lead when Roberts’ corner was met by a glancing header by Sam O’Halleron to send the ball just inside the near post.

As the Reds looked to increase their lead, Charlie Russell’s through ball released Reece Webb-Foster but although his shot found the bottom corner of the goal, it was ruled out for offside. Meanwhile, at the opposite end, Burnley had loud claims for a penalty waved aside when Niall Edmondson went down under a challenge in the Colne goalmouth.

Colne’s first attack in the second half caught Burnley cold as Hasler-Cregg crossed low into the goalmouth and Webb-Foster fired past the keeper from close range to stretch the Reds lead to 3-1.

On the hour, O’Halleron saw his shot pushed round the post in a good save by the keeper and Hasler-Cregg’s free kick flew just over the crossbar from another good chance.

After 66 minutes Burnley took advantage of a mix-up in the Reds defence and Michael Orrell pulled a goal back with an opportunist goal for a 2-3 scoreline. Four minutes later Paul Dugdale cleared the danger with a stooping header from the Colne goalmouth as Burnley looked for an equaliser. In another Burnley attack, Harris Tomlinson came close as he shot just wide of the Reds goal after a rebound from the keeper.

In the closing stages of the game, it was Colne who looked more likely to increase their tally and the Burnley goal led a charmed life as their substitute goalkeeper Jordan Coyle did well to block shots in his goalmouth before Hasler-Cregg hit the post and Spencer Jordan shot wide from the rebound when a goal seemed inevitable.

A satisfying all round performance by the Reds as they look forward to next Friday evening when they welcome Hyde United to Holt House with a 7.30pm kick off.


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page