top of page

Colne F.C. 1-2 Trafford

Colne slipped to defeat on Tuesday night against their bogey side Trafford and may well rue the loss of three league points as the season unfolds. The Reds fell behind early in the game but managed a quick reply from the penalty spot to level the scores. However they faded badly in the second half as Trafford regained the lead and frustrated every effort by Colne to grab an equaliser in the closing stages.

The Reds started brightly with some good attacking moves and Aidan Chippendale’s curling cross was knocked over his own crossbar by Keil O’Brien before Joe Coveney saw his shot blocked in the goalmouth from the resulting corner after ten minutes.

But Trafford looked dangerous with good runs by Ross Davidson on the right wing and when he got to the bye line after 17 minutes, his hard low cross was turned in by Lewis Salmon at the near post to give the visitors the lead.

Colne pushed forward looking for an equaliser and Chippendale came close as two inswinging corners were headed off the Trafford goal line by Sam Baird but in the ensuing scramble, defender Sam Egerton handled the ball giving the Reds a penalty. Will Harris fired home the resulting spot kick to level the scores at 1-1 after 22 minutes.

Colne pressed with more attacking moves and Tony Donaldson saw his shot blocked in the penalty area before Coveney’s shot was well saved by visiting keeper Matthew Cooper who minutes later was again in action fisting away a Chippendale free kick from his goalmouth.

As play swung to the other end, Sam Grimshaw forced a good save from Colne keeper Jordan Gidley with a low shot to the near post. But it was Colne who looked the more likely to score in the run up to half time with some promising build-ups and Chippendale again came close with a 25 yard pile driver that skimmed the top of the visitors crossbar.

Early in the second half, Connor Hughes headed wide from Chippendale’s diagonal cross. But at the other end, Grimshaw made a series of quick breaks up the left wing and after 57 minutes, his low cross into the Colne goalmouth was knocked home from closer range by Lewis Walters to restore Trafford’s lead at 2-1.

Colne looked for another equaliser with Chippendale making good runs on the left wing but the Trafford defence managed to block the final shot on each occasion. While at the other end, Gidley did well to clear the ball from a goalmouth scramble as the visitors threatened to stretch their lead.

In the closing stages, Colne tried desperately to create an opening in the Trafford penalty area with Lee Pugh driving forward and providing diagonal crosses but the visitors got back in numbers to clear the danger and deny them a clear sight of goal.

In the end, time ran out for the Reds who must now look to rediscover their form which carried them through the recent good cup runs.


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page