top of page

Garforth Town 0 - 4 Colne F.C.

Colne progressed to the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup with a convincing win at Garforth Town on Saturday. The Reds dominated the game against a side from the Northern Counties East League and once they had taken the lead just before half time never looked in trouble as they added a further three goals in the second period without reply.

Colne had the ball in the net after 12 minutes when Max Hazeldine headed in Aiden Chippendale’s cross but the effort was disallowed for pushing. Three minutes later, Connor Hughes came close to opening the scoring when his header flashed just wide of the upright from Chippendale’s cross.

At the other end, Garforth created chances on the break and Adam Priestley tested Hakan Burton with a shot on the turn after 19 minutes and one minute later Burton was in action again to punch away a high ball in his goalmouth.

But Colne looked the more likely to take the lead as shots by Richie Baker and Hughes were cleared from the home penalty area by the Garforth defence. And Haezldine’s shot was cleared off the goal-line by Sam Barker after 33 minutes as the pressure mounted.

After 36 minutes, Lee Pugh headed wide at the far post from Marcus Poscha’s cross but three minutes later Pugh gave Colne the lead when he forced his way into the area from the left wing and fired home a diagonal shot into the bottom corner of the home net.

In Colne’s next attack, Sefton Gonzales’ run into the penalty area gave Hazeldine a sight of goal but his shot was blocked on the goal-line and cleared by a beleaguered Garforth defence.

Colne pressed forward in the second half and after 51 minutes Chippendale’s cross was half cleared to Hazeldine who blasted a rising shot into the top corner of the net from 20 yards to double the Reds lead at 2-0. Four minutes later, Colne went further ahead when Baker saw his first shot blocked on the edge of the area but followed up to fire the rebound into the bottom corner of the net for a 3-0 lead.

Garforth threatened a quick reply as Adam Porritt made a dangerous run across the Colne penalty area but the Reds defence held firm and crowded out the home striker.

And the Reds took advantage of some hesitancy in the Garforth defence on the hour when Chippendale nipped in to rob the last defender and round the keeper before knocking in Colne’s fourth goal.

Garforth keeper Toby Wells made a good save to keep out Billy Hasler-Cregg’s blistering shot at his near post as Colne came close to adding a fifth goal while at the other end Burton denied Porritt with a good save with his feet to keep a clean sheet for the Reds.

Colne Team

  1. Hakan Burton

  2. Marcus Poscha

  3. Lee Pugh (C)

  4. Richie Baker

  5. Matty Makinson

  6. Andy Hollins

  7. Tony Donaldson

  8. Connor Hughes

  9. Sefton Gonzales

  10. Max Hazeldine

  11. Aiden Chippendale

Colne Subs

  1. Alex Coleman

  2. Joe Rothwell

  3. Brad Knox

  4. Billy Hasler-Cregg

  5. X

  6. Mamadou Djabi

  7. Will Harris


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page