top of page

Colne F.C. 1-3 Marine F.C.

Colne slipped to defeat in their first home game of the season against a strong Marine side on Tuesday night at the Sovereign Play Stadium. Despite taking the lead and competing well throughout the game, they were unable to prevent the Merseysiders from scoring three times to deny them any reward.

In the opening exchanges Marine looked a useful side and Colne took time to settle into the game. The Reds had an early warning after 15 minutes when Rumenio Barai chased a through ball into the penalty area and had his shot blocked by Matty Makinson before the Colne defence scrambled the ball away.

As Colne found their feet, Max Hazeldine’s persistent run created an opening for Aiden Chippendale and his shot was blocked in the penalty area after 19 minutes. Three minutes later, Marcus Poscha’s searching cross into the goalmouth saw Sefton Gonzales held down by defenders but the referee saw no offence.

But as Colne pushed forward, they created further chances and Chippendale’s cross to the far post saw Andy Hollins head just wide after 25 minutes. One minute later, the Reds took the lead when Chippendale’s cross fell to Gonzales in the penalty area and he held off defenders before firing home a low diagonal shot on the turn.

Colne continued to press looking for a second goal but Marine looked dangerous on the counterattack and Hollins made some good clearances from the Reds penalty area. After 38 minutes Barai found space to the right of the Colne goal and his hard low cross was cleared from the six yard box but fell to Ethan Devine just outside the area and he found the Reds net with a well struck shot to level the scores.

Colne almost regained the lead just before half time when Chippendale’s corner found Makinson and his downward header was cleared by a defender on the goal-line. But as the second half began, it was Marine who took the lead when Steve Irwin challenged Hakan Burton as he went to collect the ball and forced it into the Colne net. Despite protests by the Colne keeper the goal stood and the Reds found themselves 2-1 down.

As Colne looked for an equaliser, a free kick into the Marine penalty area fell to Max Hazeldine and his shot brought a point blank save from keeper Morgan Bacon. But two minutes later, at the other end, Burton made a great save to push Barai’s shot over his bar in the end to end play.

The Reds attacks intensified as the game wore on and Marine defended in depth. A series of long throws into the penalty area by Lee Pugh created chances but even when Gonzales was pushed to the ground by defenders, nothing was given. And deep into injury time, a free kick was awarded for a similar offence on the edge of the Colne penalty area, giving Craig Lindfield the opportunity to curl a shot into the top corner of the Reds net to seal a 3-1 win for Marine.

Colne Team

  1. Hakan Burton

  2. Marcus Poscha

  3. Lee Pugh (C)

  4. Richard Baker

  5. Matty Makinson

  6. Andy Hollins

  7. Tony Donaldson

  8. Connor Hughes

  9. Sefton Gonzales

  10. Max Hazeldine

  11. Aiden Chippendale

  1. Alex Coleman

  2. Brad Knox

  3. Joe Rothwell

  4. Billy Hasler-Cregg

  5. Mamadou Djabi


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page