top of page

Colne F.C. 1-1 Padiham F.C.

Colne emerged as victors in the Pendleside Hospice Cup after a penalty shoot out following a close fought end-to-end game at the Sovereign Play Stadium on Saturday.

Padiham took the lead after only two minutes when Danny Taylor finished an attack on the right wing with a low diagonal shot into the far corner of the Colne net. Colne looked for a quick reply but Connor Hughes pulled his shot wide from a good chance in front of goal after Sefton Gonzales’ run and cross from the left wing.

In an open entertaining game, Colne looked to play some passing football and build attacks through midfield while Padiham looked dangerous with quick counterattacks. Danny Boyle provided chances with through balls for Gonzales and Lee Pugh but on both occasions the Padiham defence was quick to block the final shot in their goal area.

At the other end, Hakan Burton made a fine instinctive save to keep out Ben McNamara’s deflected shot and Padiham came close when Chris Lynch headed inches wide at the far post from a high cross from a corner.

A good move by Colne after 36 minutes saw Marcus Poscha release Billy Hasler-Cregg for a run to the bye line and his cross found Gonzales in front of goal but the Reds striker headed wide from a glorious opportunity. On the stroke of half time, Gonzales looked to be about to make amends with a strong run into the visitors’ penalty area but Padiham keeper Matt Holmes saved his shot with his feet to maintain his side’s lead at the interval.

Early in the second half, Holmes again denied Colne when he kept out Aiden Chippendale’s free kick with a fingertip save at the top corner of his goal.

But Padiham threatened a second goal with some good attacks and Burton cleared the ball off the toes of James Dean in his penalty area before a shot by Danny Smith whistled just wide of the Colne goal. And the Reds had a let-off on the hour when Dean shot wide of an empty net with Burton stranded out of his goal.

After 79 minutes, Colne levelled the scores when Chippendale burst into the area and his shot was blocked by Holmes but Max Hazeldine headed the loose ball back across the goalmouth and Chippendale side-footed home from close range for the equaliser at 1-1.

Colne pressed forward looking for a winner but the Padiham defence held out and the game went to penalties with the Reds coming out on top at 4-3.


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page