top of page

1874 Northwich F.C. 1 - 2 Colne F.C.

Image credit: Braithwaite Photography

Colne continued their climb up the table with a close fought win at 1874 Northwich on Saturday. The Reds snatched victory with a last minute penalty having come from behind with a rousing second half performance.

Colne made a bright start to the game with some good attacks and created chances with Ryan Taylor’s free kicks into the home goalmouth looking for the head of Tom Dean. But after 13 minutes the Reds were rocked by a goal at the other end, when Matthew Russell’s cross from the left wing was met by Ashley Woods in the area to send a looping shot over the keeper and into the far top corner of the net to give the home side the lead.

Northwich pressed home their advantage with more attacks, but Colne defended well and looked to hit back on the counterattack with Reece Webb-Foster and Billy Hasler-Cregg linking well up front.

Colne’s debutant keeper Joel Torrance saw plenty of action as he dealt with some dangerous balls around his area. Northwich came close to a second goal after 36 minutes when Jack Irlam’s long diagonal ball into the Colne area was met on the volley by Taylor Kennerley to send a screamer of a shot inches over the Red's goal.

With half time approaching, it was Colne who threatened with a great run by Charlie Russell into the home penalty area, but his shot was blocked in the goalmouth by a posse of defenders.

As the second half began, Colne keeper Torrance did well to block Irlam’s close range shot and clear the danger. But the Reds raised their game and began to create chances at the other end.

And after 53 minutes, Harry Cannon-Noren’s low cross from the right wing was back-heeled in the area by Webb-Foster and Hasler-Cregg fired home a diagonal shot into the bottom corner of the net to level the scores at 1-1.

Colne continued to build some good attacks and after 78 minutes Hasler-Cregg created a great chance beating two defenders on the left wing before supplying a low cross into the goalmouth that only needed a touch.

Northwich conceded a series of free kicks as Colne pressed, but they held on with keeper, ex-Red, Tony Aghayere looking sure behind his defence. With five minutes left, Webb-Foster’s low cross was just out of reach of Leon Johnson in the home goalmouth as the Reds continued to look for a winner.

With time running out Olatunde Bayode chased a lost cause to keep a ball in on the left bye line before crossing to the far post where Johnson had two shots blocked before the ball broke to Webb-Foster who was brought down by Aghayere with a deperate dive in his goalmouth.

The referee pointed to the spot and dismissed the Northwich protests after consulting a linesman. Webb-Foster drove the resultant penalty into the roof of the net for the winning goal in a dramatic finale to the game.

Colne F.C. Line Up:

Torrance / Cannon-Noren / Dugdale / Winstanley / Dean / Taylor / Russell / Roberts* / Hasler-Cregg*** / Webb-Foster / Williams**


Johnson* / Dodd / O'Halleron** / Turner / Bayode***


Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page