Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Colne Football Club app


Colne FC - Match centre

Charnock Richard
O Wood (4')
Full time
Tue 4 Dec 19:45 - Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy 18-19 Attendance 92

Colne in LFA Trophy Semis


Colne progressed to the semi-final of the Lancashire FA Trophy with a narrow win against Charnock Richard at the Sovereign Play Stadium on Tuesday evening.

A single goal scored by Oliver Wood after four minutes was enough to see the Reds through against an enterprising Charnock Richard side that never gave up.

The Reds got off to a great start when Matty Morgan’s run on the left wing created the opening for Wood to drive home a low shot from a narrow angle after only four minutes. And as Colne continued to create chances, Wood almost added a second after 12 minutes when Brad Lynch’s cross reached him in front of goal but Charnock Richard keeper Adam Halton produced a great save to push away his close range header.

Charnock Richard began to find their feet and Nathan Fairhurst had two good efforts cleared from the Colne penalty area before he curled a shot just wide of the Reds goal in a subsequent attack. At the other end, Morgan and Lynch both had shots deflected wide of the visitors goal in a crowded goalmouth as Charnock Richard got back in numbers to defend.

But the visitors came close to an equaliser after 26 minutes when Jacob Higham was inches away from Joe Noblet’s low cross as he came in at the far post of the Colne goal. And three minutes later, a free kick by Noblet into the Colne area reached Carl Grimshaw for a powerful header which was saved on the line by Hakan Burton.

With half time approaching, the game swung back in Colne’s favour as Wood brought a good save from Halton with a goal-bound shot and Lynch saw his shot deflected wide of goal after an excellent build-up by the Reds.

As the second half began, Charnock Richard won a free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the Colne penalty area but Noblet’s shot was blocked by the defensive wall and James Walker fired the rebound wide of the target.

After 72 minutes, a great through ball by Alex Coleman released Niall Watson but his angled shot flew over the bar from a great opening. And minutes later, a Lee Pugh free kick found Krishnan Patel who blasted a 35 yard shot just over the visitors’ goal.

In the closing stages, a 25 yard free kick by Charnock Richard’s Spencer Bibby brought a superb reaction save from Burton as he turned the shot over the bar. But as play switched to the other end, a well worked move found Watson on the edge of the visitors area but his finishing shot flew just wide of goal.

The Reds ran out worthy winners after a closely fought contest and will look forward to the draw for the next round as they continue on the cup trail.

Key moments

Goal Oliver Wood scores for Colne


View 0 new events
90:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Hakan Burton keeps a clean sheet for Colne
73:00 Sub On
Lee Pugh is substituted on for Colne
73:00 Sub Off
Dominic Kerrigan is substituted off for Colne
64:00 Sub On
Marcus Poscha is substituted on for Colne
62:00 Sub Off
Bradley Knox is substituted off for Colne
61:00 Sub On
Niall Watson is substituted on for Colne
61:00 Sub Off
Oliver Wood is substituted off for Colne
End of period 1
4:00 Goal 1 - 0
Oliver Wood scores for Colne
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Colne
  • Charnock Richard
  • 0
  • Oliver Wood Goal 4:00'
  • Niall Watson Sub On 61:00'
  • Oliver Wood Sub Off 61:00'
  • Bradley Knox Sub Off 62:00'
  • Marcus Poscha Sub On 64:00'
  • Lee Pugh Sub On 73:00'
  • Dominic Kerrigan Sub Off 73:00'

Team selection

Burton, Hakan Burton, Hakan
Coleman, Alexander Coleman, Alexander
Morgan, Matty Morgan, Matty
Curran, Alex Curran, Alex
Nangle, Simon Nangle, Simon
Makinson, Matty Makinson, Matty
Kerrigan, Dominic Kerrigan, Dominic
Knox, Bradley Knox, Bradley
Lynch, Brad Lynch, Brad
Patel, Krishnan Patel, Krishnan
Wood, Oliver Wood, Oliver


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors