Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Colne Football Club app


Colne FC - Match centre

Ossett United
Colne Football Club
Sat 11 Aug 15:00 - Friendly Full time Attendance 208

Reds Round off Friendlies at Ossett


Colne finished their programme of pre-season friendlies on Saturday with a useful workout against newly formed Ossett United.

The Yorkshire club is an amalgamation of Ossett Town and Ossett Albion and now play at Ingfield, the former club’s ground in the town centre. Manager Steve Cunningham used the game to give all his players a run out and will not be too disappointed with the scoreline.

Colne threatened in the opening minutes with the home defence scrambling the ball clear from their goalmouth off the toes of Alex Curran before Danny Pilkington flashed a free kick just wide from 20 yards out.

But Ossett soon settled into the game and created a series of chances at the other end with Adam Priestley and Aidan Chippendale coming close with shots on target as the home side looked dangerous with every attack.

But the Reds created chances on the break through Luke Higham and Pilkington on the left wing and Pilkington’s searching cross after 20 minutes was fired into the roof of the net at the far post by Brad Lynch only for the goal to be ruled out by the assistant’s flag for offside. Colne pressed forward and Curran was just off target with his shot from the edge of the area before Kyle Sambor’s close range header flew just wide of the post of the home goal after 27 minutes.

But Ossett came forward strongly before half time and the Colne defence came under pressure from a series of corners. After 36 minutes, Nicky Boshell broke down the left wing and his shot from a narrow angle was cleared off the goal-line by Alex Coleman but Chippendale fired home the loose ball to give Ossett the lead.

Colne looked for an equaliser and after 41 minutes forced a corner but when the ball was cleared at the near post, an end-to-end move saw Chippendale race away and blast a shot into the top corner of the Reds goal to double Ossett’s lead at the interval.

Ossett pressed forward again early in the second half but good defensive work by Chris Lynch and Jonathan Hodgkinson cleared the danger from a series of attacks. But Colne came more into the game as the half wore on and forced a series of corners and free kicks around the home penalty area. But Ossett defended well and cleared high balls from their goalmouth under pressure from the Colne attack with Reds debutant defender Madcos Pocha supplying high crosses and long throws from the right wing into the danger area.

After 72 minutes, Curran’s low cross from the bye-line was half cleared from the goalmouth and Joe Gaughan blasted his shot a yard wide of the post when a goal looked to be on the cards for the Reds. Hodgkinson added his height to the Colne attack at every opportunity but Ossett keeper Leigh Overton did well to punch the ball away from his head in several goalmouth incidents.

But it was Ossett who came closest to scoring in the closing minutes when George Grayson hit the post of the Colne goal with a 25 yard shot as his side ran out worthy winners.

Colne kick off the new season next Saturday with a trip to Newcastle Town followed by a home game against Ramsbottom United on Tuesday night 7.45pm kick off.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors