Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Colne Football Club app


Colne FC - Match centre

Colne Football Club
Sat 7 Jul 12:00 - Friendly Full time



Report by Ed Lambert

Steve Cunningham's pre-season schedule started in glorious sunshine as the Reds made the short journey over the Moss to take on NWCFL Premier division new boys Silsden. Colne had a number of established players unavailable and included a plethora of trialists in the squad.

On an obviously very dry pitch, Colne began on the front foot and Alex Curran played in Harry Pratt only for the number 9 to delay his shot allowing the home keeper to advance and smother the ball. Colne triallist keeper (CK) made a smart save only moments later to turn a crisp shot round the post for a corner. The home team took the lead on 11 minutes when a left sided free kick was floated into the area and Silsden's big centre half Danny Illingworth powered home with a thumping header.

Colne almost equalised on 25 minutes when midfield trialist (AH) saw his shot flash past the post. Colne's Alex Curran then went on a mazy run only to see his shot instinctively saved by the home keeper. Colne suffered another setback on the stroke of half time when the Silsden 11 received the ball on the edge of the area and bent it beautifully into the top corner giving the keeper no chance.


Colne made a number of changes at half time and only 2 minutes into the 2nd half reduced the arrears. Chris Lynch played a ball down the left opening up the opposition defence and triallist (NM) finished confidently into the bottom corner. Colne enjoyed a period of pressure and again NM was played in but the keeper came out and made a timely interception. on 74 minutes NM showed great speed but could only shoot straight at the home keeper.

The Reds had Chris Lynch to thank for not conceding a third goal when he threw his body on the line to block a certain goal. Only a minute later, the Reds were on level terms when NM outmuscled the opposing centre half and raced towards the goal only to be upended in the are with the referee immediately pointing to the spot. NM stepped up and confidently beat the keeper to bring the Reds level.

Silsden regained the lead only 2 minutes later when the ball broke to the edge of the area and a Silsden forward put the ball into the bottom corner. This proved to be the last meaningful action of the game.


Manager Steve Cunningham was upbeat about the second half performance and the Reds move onto Saturday July 14th when they entertain the Burnley U23 squad at the newly named Sovereign Play Stadium, kick off 3pm.
This is quickly followed Wednesday July 18th by another home fixture when Colne host Preston North End's development squad, kick off 7pm.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors